My first pond build with pics

Reaction score
I thought I would post pics of my first pond. It's about 530G. I have 220G aquarium and 75G but thought I would try a pond this year for the first time. Read through a stack of AFM, TFH and FAMA magazines I had around from 1991,92, and 93. Lot's of good articles on ponds.

It's 30" deep and I was hoping to try and over winter the fish (Ottawa, Canada get's cold, average temp range is 4F to 27F with many nights below -30F).

Using a Algreen bottom filter with UV for now. ( I'm used to Eheim canisters on my aquariums), but I wanted something cheap to cycle the pond and wanted UV to avoid algae blooms with a new pond. Seems to be working ok for now. Don't like a filter in the pond as it takes up space. Plan on putting in a filter outside the pond.

I get about 5 hours of direct sunlight, which I hope will let Lilies bloom and also keep the algae down. Will this be enough light?

DSC02521.jpg

Learned a lesson about suspened clay. Had lot's on my boots after digging the hole, filled the liner with water and had huge mess that didn't settle after a couple of days. Tried "Fast clear" did nothing. So pulled out the liner on the deck and cleaned the whole thing by hand then put back in the whole with care to ensure no clay got on the liner.

DSC02530.jpg

Water is crystal clear now and has stayed that way.

DSC02561.jpg

Some shubunkin 4 x 2.5" each. Looking to add 1 Koi to this pond. I can winter them all indoors if needed but hoping not to.

DSC02563.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The pond looks good...watch out for water run off every thing looks kinda level..Your water realy cleared up great..What do you have for a filter?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
cute little pond there...yeah,the manmade rock looks good... and thats a nice little filter setup for a smaller pond like yours as long as you keep the fish numbers on the lower side.... you did a nice job, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!
p.s 30" is plenty deep to overwinter your fish in.

Reaction score
Thought I would post updates on my progress. I converted to a pressurized UV filter hidden under my deck with a 700GPh pump feeding it and ditched the inpond filter with UV. Added a waterfall with 60 Gallon bog that feeds the waterfall using another 600Gph filter. Added bear root yellow iris, parrots feather, water hycinth and some hair grass to the bog filter at the top (needs more work still).

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02654.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Now you can just sit back and talk about it...
Nice job

BBK

Reaction score
Great looking pond! A little tip for winter, I took a 300w heater and suspended it in the middle of my pond via a 2X4 that stretches across the pond. This kept half my pond open all last winter, even though a week spell of -20 temps. Just make sure you don't touch your liner with the heater, it may burn because your heater will be on constantly.

Ask a Question