Post some pictures when you can.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Well, you must have done some homework since you're waiting to add fish! Good for you!

First thing I would say is don't overstock, especially since you mentioned koi! They get BIG! Go slow, and don't over feed!

Here's a link to give an idea of safe fish loads :
http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Get a water testing kit (liquid is more accurate than strips) and use it to monitor your pH, ammonia, etc. It's easier to correct a problem if you catch it early, instead of waiting for bigger problems to start -- like dead or sick fish!

Oh, and from this point onward, you should consider a quarantine period for ANY new fish you add. No matter where they came from (store or established pond).

Tell us a little more about your pond. It's 1000 gals, but how deep is it? What kind of pump & filtration do you have? Full sun? How many fish are you planning to have? Plants or not?

Reaction score
This pond I have is partial sun/shade more of the day in sunlight and is about 4 feet deep. I have 5 5-6 inch koi fish. I don't have any plants in pond just waterfall. Have a aqua uv sterilizer and looking for papers on other details lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and you will need a water test kit plus pond may be to small for koi unless later you plan on going bigger ,which I hate to say a lot of us do . :cheerful:

Reaction score
welcome Jeremy... am thinking most that have koi will say you are already at your limit based off of how big they may grow... but there are some who may say you are ok and could possibly add more depending on how much filtration, aeration and how often you are doing water changes and checking your water conditions with a test kit.. good luck and remember it's a learning process and that all may not always go as you planned or hoped for...just remember to give the members COMPLETE info and not vague answers especially when it comes to water testing, ie actual numbers not just saying the water is good or the numbers were good

Reaction score
Thanks for advice and the measurements of my pond are 12 ft length x 8ft wide x 4 feet depth so it will hold for than 1,000 gallons but that is all the water that is in it now. What ph measurement device do you recommend and do you use a pond vac? Probably my biggest problem so far I have encountered is my ph is always too high!!! I know this is because my pond is cement lined. I gave it a muriatic acid bath which has lowered it some. I have no run off of debris into pond the builder place multiple large rocks around border.
I will try to post pics soon.

Reaction score
I have the information from the builder of my pond regarding the pumps and filters.

You have two submersible pumps. One recirculates the water through the filter systems. This pump is an Easypro T-150. You have it set up to run continuously unless you manually shut it off.

The other one recirculates and aerates the water by bringing the pond water up to the top of the waterfall. It picks up air as it cascades down over the waterfalls and along the stream. This pump is an Easypro T-250 and is the bigger of the two pumps.

You also have a "top mounted" sand and gravel filter which has some 3/4" gravel in it and another synthetic ribbon material that helps keep the pond clean. After the water passes through this filter, it then travels through a UV Light which has a 57 watt bulb in it that helps kill the bacteria that is in the water.

I hope this sheds light on the pond system I have

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze 57 watts good gosh what does he want to kill .It does not kill bacteria ,bacteria is a good thing for filters he wants to kill algae cells ,but guessing that wattage kills a lot of stuff .If he said bacteria he is thinking of a well with one inline .On my well line I only needed a 27 watt if I remember correctly and that is for drinking water .

Ask a Question