My First Pond is under way.

Reaction score
My Wife and I are always looking for new landscape and hardscape ideas. We have always loved garden ponds and have finally talked ourselves into taking the plunge. We decided that in one of our large flower beds we would add a pond to one end. We actually started the designing process last year. Once we decided on a design (this obviously changed atleast 100 times). we decided we better get to digging before we changed our minds again. So Saturday we started digging. We decided on a 9' X 8' X 4' for the main pond. After 2 solid days of digging we have that part done. Now it is time to order the liner and the pump. I will also begin deciding on what type of container we will use to build our bio-filter.

I will post pictures as soon as I get to 10 post.
:icon_smile:

Reaction score
Ordered the liner last night. Should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather forecast for the weekend is not very good. Hopefully I can get the liner set though.

Nest up time to buy the pump and plumbing materials.

Reaction score

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 469
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 389
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 453
Reaction score
Liner should be delivered today. As Murphy's law would have it this weekend's weather is not going to cooperate. Supposed to rain with possible thunderstorms tomorrow and then temps are going to drop on Sunday. Hopefully it dries out enough to get started.

Atleast with the rain Saturday that will give me a chance to get to Tractor Supply and find a good container to build the Bio-Filter. I will do some research online and try to print some plans. I am fairly good with the plumbing stuff just not sure on what type media I want to use. Should be fun though.

Hopefully I will get a lot done with the filter and will post some pics this weekend.

Reaction score
I'll probably start building my bio filter during the weekend. My 2" bulkheads should arrive today. Lots of people have success with scrub pads bought from dollar stores, so that is what I'm going to do.

Rain and hole in ground definitely don't mix. Good luck. Last summer, dug post holes, up to 4ft deep and it rained all summer. One storm filled my holes to the top. I didn't help since shed was built on lowest part of the property. I had to pump the water out to speed up drying time. I lost count how many times I did that, only to have rain come again and again. I needed at least 1 week of no rain before I could pour concrete into 'em holes. But since you're doing a pond, you don't need it to be that dry.

Reaction score
Liner arrived yesterday. Bought 100 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank today. Bigger than I originally wanted but with a small change to the design I think it will work out better.

Tomorrow I will be picking up the under layment. Should have the pump in a few days then the real work begins. I can get the rest of the materials for the bio filter and start putting it together.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can partially bury it right at ponds edge,build up the dirt and rocks around it for a waterfall. i built my filter out of the 70 gallon stock tank. but i put a waterfall weir right on the filter,rather than hosing it in. i have a thread on its design on this forum if it helps. MY 70 GALLON SKIPPY FILTER. good luck and happy ponding.

Reaction score
Looks like Saturday might be the day to get the liner installed. Hopefully the pump will be in by then. I will post updated pics after we get started.

Thanks to everyone for all the advise you have given. I have learned a lot. I guess the only decision I have left is to make the final decision about what media to use. So many choices.

Reaction score
Pump finally got here. So now I can get started putting it together. The weather is not cooperating very well but tomorrow I should be able to get the bulk of it started. My plan is get the under layment in then the liner. I will then dry fit where my filter will be placed and get it dug in. Then off to the hardware store to buy all the tubing and fittings to build the skippy filter and hook it to the pump. I know it is a little ambitious but I hope to have all that completed tomorrow. Then it will be time to order some media for the filter. We are chomping at the bit to get it put together but we also want to make sure we take our time and do it right. Hopefully I will have some pics to post tomorrow evening.

Reaction score
Thanks KoiGuy. All I need to do is figure out how I want to transition the filter to a waterfall. I like your weir design but I am no plastic welder by any means. So I will be doing some trial and error until I get it the way we like it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you have an harbor freight near by they sell a plastic welder and i recall its only about $20.00 , i cannot vouche for its quality or that it works at all, but the welding of plastic is quite easy. oh .. they carry the rods too
CRAP, the plastic stock.. youd have to be able to get some of that too. just dawned on me

Ask a Question