My first pond - up and running!

Reaction score
It's been awhile in the making, but I'm happy to report that my pond is up and running! It's 8' x 8', and just shy of six feet deep at it's deepest point. Shallowest parts are just under 2 feet, which, while great for protecting the fish from predators, is a bit of a problem for planting. I think I've done okay though.

I'll be building an upper pond, bog garden, and waterfall over the course of this month, as I'm on holidays. I plan for the upper pond to be about 200gallons (the lower pond is around 1400 gallons I figure).

The pond is doing good - I'm struggling with some green water, but that's not unexpected given as it's a new pond and it gets full sun from about 10am until around 8pm. I've got some barley straw pellets in there, I've been using the stuff that clumps stuff up, and I added some stuff that tints the water to shade it. It helped quite a bit for a few days, but then it got REALLY hot the last couple of days, and it's looking a bit murky again. I think I'm just going to leave it, and see if it clears on its own.

One nice thing about it being so deep - it stays a nice steady temperature. The pond is in the mid seventies I'd guess (I've got to get a thermometer) - I just know the water is cool, but not cold.

One not-so-nice thing about it being so deep - for any mainenance of the filter or pump, or plants in the deeper section, I have to go swimming! My fish seem to think this is a treat, and like to nibble on my toes, lol. The other day, my dog decided to join me, not realizing how deep it was - it was quite funny, and I don't think he'll make that mistake again.

Anyway, here are some pics:

P1080193.jpg

(I'll be trimming off the last of the visible liner)

The canna are doing well
P1080207.jpg

Oscar the oranda says hello
P1080213.jpg

Looking for food in the water violet
P1080223.jpg

Pond inhabitants are 7 fancies (orandas, telescopes), and 7 single-tails (shebunkins, sarasas). The single-tails (shebunkin, sarasa) will be moved to the upper pond when it's done, so they don't out-compete the fancies for food. However, they're small enough now that the fancies are able to hold their own.

Plants so far:
3 different types of canna
2 types of taro (black magic and lime)
variegated cattail and another type of cattail
loosestrife
marsh marigold
creeping jenny
pennywort
water violet
parrot feather
crinum lily
water lilies (attraction and rose nymph)
hornwort
valisneria
water hyacinth
silvina (spelling? aka cat's tongue)
fairy moss

I've got some bog iris coming to me from a friend that I'll be planting in the bog when it's done. I'll probably move some of the other plants up there too.

Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
thanks!

2 feet above ground, 4 feet dug into the ground. I'm glad I made it that deep (although I suspect I'll feel differently when I have to go in for spring and fall maintenance!), as the temperature is nice and stable. It's been horribly hot here the last few days (around 85-90F), but the pond is maintaining at around 75 degrees.

Reaction score
It's a lovely pond, I live in Manchester England and my pond is only 4ft one end and 3 ft the other but we don't get wonderful summers or such or bad winters so I'm lucky, so is my hubby because it his him getting in in the autumn not me, your fish look lovely too.

Reaction score
Wow, that looks like my pond's big brother! Mine is five by five, but only about a foot underground. I built a little deck by mine so I can sit there with a rocking chair and put my feet up. Yours is so deep!

Ask a Question