My First Pondless Waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello!
Probably like many of you, I've become fascinated with the waterfalls all the great artists on YouTube create and share. After 2 years of devouring all of the content I can get my hands on, I'm finally embarking on my first water feature.
So far I've carved out the main structure of what will become a pondless waterfall feature in my front yard. I'll be buying a 15'x20' liner today, along with 3 large aquablox. In the pit I plan to use a stack of hollowed-out milk crates for the "pump vault."
The bottom of the pit is dug to 30" below the sidewalk. On top of the aquablox I'm planning to place a bed of 2-8" cobble mix to make up the height difference. I have various boulders, up to 3' and 4', to build the main stream path. The rock that is standing upright on the bed of gravel is 48" tall and will not be part of the waterfall path.
I'm doing this entirely DIY and piecing things together as I go. I'm finding it VERY HARD to envision the finished project entirely so I'm just focusing on doing one step at a time. My reason for posting is to open myself up for advice and suggestions from all the wonderful and knowledgeable people in this community!

Attachments

• 20220523_073629.jpg
    20220523_073629.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Inked20220523_073615_LI.jpg
    Inked20220523_073615_LI.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I can relate! I have watched so many pond and waterfall builds! When I watch them, I think "I've got it. Yes. I understand all these basic design principles and I know how they work." Then, I get outside with my big rocks and my excavation (that at this point, is what is is and can't be changed) and go "What??? What do I do? How will this work?" :LOL:
As you said - One step at a time!
Your project is looking great so far!
And welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can relate! I have watched so many pond and waterfall builds! When I watch them, I think "I've got it. Yes. I understand all these basic design principles and I know how they work." Then, I get outside with my big rocks and my excavation (that at this point, is what is is and can't be changed) and go "What??? What do I do? How will this work?" :LOL:
As you said - One step at a time!
Your project is looking great so far!
And welcome!

Oh yeah, I can totally relate! It seems like l just repeatedly ask myself "ok, this is where I am now, what's my best option?"

After laying down the liner, I'm worried about how little material I have available for edging around the pit. My photo makes it look like I have more than I have, both because of the wide-angle lens and the fact that the top of the current pit sits about 6" below where I intend to raise the level too.

I dug the pit to 30" below the level of the sidewalk (which is where I am standing while taking this photo), which now seems excessive. So I'm going to reduce the depth of the pit by about 9" tonight. That will help recover some additional material and also make future servicing of the pit simpler.

I also wish I had more liner up near the origin of the waterfall in the upper-left corner. I'm starting to think that I might just by an Aquascape Biofalls 1000 because I can clamp that to the corner of the liner and call it good. But... I'm having a hard time swalling the price tag on that one.

Attachments

• 20220526_072933.jpg
    20220526_072933.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'm not understanding all the depressed area but the liner is not covering it all that you have excavated. is there a video you have molded this after?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i'm not understanding all the depressed area but the liner is not covering it all that you have excavated. is there a video you have molded this after?

I've attached a really crude illustration of what I was talking about. I pulled the liner last night and begain shoring up the surrounding ground level to provide a better starting point for the build out (see photo).

I excavated more of the berm on the left side of the pit and realized I should probably shift the entire pit to the left by about a foot. This would provide a more straight path for the waterfall and make better use of the rectangular pond liner. Having it on a significant diagonal across the contributed to the problem.

So I'll be tackling that today, in addition to planting a 10' Serbian spruce tree on the berm this weekend. I wanted to do the planting after the boulders were set, but today is tree day so I'll need to work around it. Rain is in the forecast all holiday weekend so it's going to get muddy.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220527_073124.jpg
    20220527_073124.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220527_073154.jpg
    20220527_073154.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
On the topic of the biofalls, I might try to make a 5 gallon bucket work. Or go with a traditional molded spillway. I'm indecisive!

For a pondless waterfall, is a biofalls-like filter setup even beneficial?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looking great!
You are carving it out nicely!
And you have the machine to do it all. That makes me jealous! ;)
When I did mine I had to rent the machine.

Curious why you're opting for pondless.
Is it just what you want or is it because it may be a hazard since it's in your front yard without any fences to keep children and wildlife out?
Just wondering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looking great!
You are carving it out nicely!
And you have the machine to do it all. That makes me jealous! ;)
When I did mine I had to rent the machine.

Curious why you're opting for pondless.
Is it just what you want or is it because it may be a hazard since it's in your front yard without any fences to keep children and wildlife out?
Just wondering.

Good question! I didn't have a lot of space in the front yard and it's only a few feet from the sidewalk so pondless seemed like the best choice. I didn't have any desire to keep fish and wanted to keep maintenance down as well. When it came to what I did want, it was all about the boulders and the sound of water so the pondless waterfall ticks all the boxes for me.

It's been a couple weeks since I last updated. In the meantime my wife and I have moved some large rocks and I think we finally finished the bottom row. We built it once with the help of a neighbor and we didn't like the result, so we tore it out and started fresh. We have 2 spill rocks in this bottom row.

I purchased about 100ft of 24" wide conveyor belts off facebook marketplace for about $1/ft. I've been cutting them with a utility knife and using them underneath the boulders, but below and above the 45mil epdm liner. This is in addition to non-woven underlayment above and below. I also used the conveyor belts below the aquablox/milk crates. Seemed like cheap insurance!

Given the remaining drop distance (about 3'), I think we will end up with 2 more levels of falls.

Attachments

• 20220529_102117.jpg
    20220529_102117.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220529_115245.jpg
    20220529_115245.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220529_195510.jpg
    20220529_195510.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220613_080208.jpg
    20220613_080208.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm terrible with visualizing finished products myself, but I will say this - those are some GORGEOUS rocks! (Also a very nice water feature statue you have there sitting on the side! haha!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If all else fails it looks like a great place to make the x wife disappear. If your good can I bring mine ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm terrible with visualizing finished products myself, but I will say this - those are some GORGEOUS rocks! (Also a very nice water feature statue you have there sitting on the side! haha!)

Too funny! And thanks - the best part is the boulders cost me nothing. They all came out of the ground when a nearby development had to be cut down 8ft before construction began. My neighbor is the superintendent on the project and he brought them over.

I'm definitely struggling with where to go from here. There are too many possibilities! I originally envisioned one large drop but I think it will look more natural (my end goal) with 2 smaller drops

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful boulders and free! What a find!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also jealous of the free boulders. They are hundreds of dollars each where I live.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heck I just dumped 2500 on gravel and river rock a good month ago . And this week it's all we are digging up in one area piles and piles of river rock.

Ask a Question