My first pond's evolution...

Reaction score
I've had a couple barrel ponds and a 55 gallon preformed, but after years of waiting, I finally staked out my spot in the back yard. Last fall, we took the kid's playground out and my planning began.

The dig begins...

IMG_0305-XL.jpg

IMG_0327-XL.jpg

Building the bridge:

IMG_0336-XL.jpg

IMG_0338-XL.jpg

The watercourse:

IMG_0340-XL.jpg

And here come the rocks:

6F4A5197-XL.jpg

Bridge is in place temporarily:

6F4A5207-XL.jpg

We have water!!!!

6F4A5224-XL.jpg

Lego boat? Why not:)

6F4A5249-XL.jpg

After some edge work:

6F4A5333-XL.jpg

Pathway going around pond. The plan is fill with dirt, then add asylum, spanish moss and creeping thyme seeds:

6F4A5348-XL.jpg

Drip line in:

6F4A5354-XL.jpg

Everyone giving a hand:

6F4A5381-XL.jpg

Low voltage lights in. This addition has to be among the best. The appearance of the whole pond area at night is incredible:

6F4A5428-XL.jpg

Mortared in the steps to the bridge:

6F4A5429-XL.jpg

Lots of plants in now...including fennel. Love fennel!!!

6F4A5434-XL.jpg

Water plants arriving now. I had a few lillies that I split and added (and are blowing up!), but I ordered parrot's feather, water lettuce, frogbit, and a few others.

6F4A5435-XL.jpg

Some leftover pavers for footings for the benches. I was hesitant to use the pavers, but they actually compliment the color of the bridge well. They don't look out of place.

6F4A5438-XL.jpg

Second filter in:

6F4A5441-X2.jpg

After some concern about erosion, I built up small retaining walls around the watercourse.

photo-XL.jpg

Next up?

Need to replace the fence. I'm going to have an arbor entrance with decorative metal fencing. Last big project is building a deck around the side of the pond near the house (master bedroom). Long term? Install a sliding door from our room onto the deck!!!

I've had more fun working in the yard then ever before. My whole family is involved. I can't wait for the fish to grow, plants to mature, etc.

Reaction score
Looks great! It`s especially nice seeing kids involved in projects like that, it will give then a sense of accomplishment that will be invaluable later in life.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lots of fun family work and looks so nice...........you all did a magnificent job and can't wait to see more pix!

Reaction score
This weekends projects:

Out with the old wooden picket fence and in with a lower, more see through version. It just has to be big enough to keep the dogs out. This was a fairly inexpensive metal fence from Lowes. It was fairly easy to put in and my wife loves it.

6F4A5453-XL.jpg

Digging the arbor post holes.

6F4A5456-L.jpg

Leveled, staked out and cemented in:

6F4A5458-X2.jpg

Arbor top, ready for the cement to dry:

6F4A5464-XL.jpg

Arbor in over one of the seating areas. Originally it was supposed to go at the entrance over the gate, but while digging it out, I found a water line (sprinklers) that the previous homeowner installed only 12" down.

6F4A5468-XL.jpg

How it looked this morning. Planting moss and creeping thyme seeds in between the pavers this week, plus a host of border plants along the edges.

6F4A5467-XL.jpg

Lastly...one of the reasons for the fence. He's DYING to take a swim in there;)

6F4A5477-XL.jpg

The deck (which will be to the right of the photo) is the last major project. I'll add a few plants and nurture the ones I have. Spring sunshine and showers should get everything growing in no time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh what family fun that was and great job all around .In ponding there is no such thing as leftovers

Ask a Question