My first proper pond

UkiahTheTurtle

Tiny Little goldfish pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
so this is my first proper pond (I made one with my dad that was not good for the fish a couple years ago but we did not know). I forgot how many gallons my stock tanks I am using for it was but I know that it is around 150 gallons. I also have for filtration and tetra pond filter and we are going to use pool filter sand as substrate for it. I live in Portland Oregon and the stock tank is only 2 feet deep would goldfish be able to over winter in it? Also how many goldfish could live a pond around that size? And does anyone know of other fish that could live in a outdoor pond? Anyway thanks in advance and sorry for any bad grammar.

Pic of my stock tank and pond filter
D7FC9146-258D-4EB8-93BA-3FC39F05D179.jpeg

302DCE08-D515-487C-B074-4E12DE50F9D3.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use that tetra, leave it open and put plants in the top. I have it filtering my deck ponds. Fishless but they get dirty water from the big pond. Helps keep the ponds water clear.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
is the water that is in there currently freezing? If not, then you are most likely good to Overwinter cold water fish. The main concern would be that it freezes from 3 sides and the fish aren’t left with adequate room to swim, and for gas exchange to occur.

For larger ponds a good rule of thumb is 1 goldfish per 50 gallons, however if you heavily stock the container with plants, and are willing to do occasional water changes if needed you could probably get away with a few more.

UkiahTheTurtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
is the water that is in there currently freezing? If not, then you are most likely good to Overwinter cold water fish. The main concern would be that it freezes from 3 sides and the fish aren’t left with adequate room to swim, and for gas exchange to occur.

For larger ponds a good rule of thumb is 1 goldfish per 50 gallons, however if you heavily stock the container with plants, and are willing to do occasional water changes if needed you could probably get away with a few more.
Well it’s not iced over but it’s probably around 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My suggestion - buy a few goldfish and see how the pond and they settle in together. They grow quickly. It's easy to add goldfish, remember to quarantine them in a tank for at least a week or so, before adding to the pond, to prevent newbies bringing in parasites to the pond. (I get a little tear-y when I have to rehome goldfish, that's why I say "Add more later").
Winter: Don't feed the fish when the pond water is 50 degrees or less. A little ice on the top of a small pond is OK for a short period of time (overnight? a day?), but an air stone will keep oxygen in the water and enough open space in the ice so the natural air to water oxygenation takes place. Be cautious of electricity for the air pump and water - whether pond, rain, snow - your electric is GFI/ outdoor rated? My goldfish were in a bigger pond in Chicago and survived the winters and ice just fine. (We moved and they are now enjoying Florida.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It can drop below freezing here in the winter though around the high 20s at the lowest
if not prolonged sub-freezing temps, you'll probably be okay. There's more danger with above ground as you are subjecting the 'pond' to the outside air almost totally whereas if you sunk it in the ground, the earth's heat helps keep the temp higher. That's why going down 36-48" really helps a pond. I've had buckets of water freeze almost solid in my garage when temps never get above freezing. Goldfish are pretty hardy, though.

UkiahTheTurtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So does anyone know of any pond fish besides goldfish that could tolerate the temps where I live? (lowest I’ve seen it go is high 20s)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Who hired you to make everyone get bigger ponds????:p If only I could rip that Apple tree out…… or Mabye it’s time for a new pond location.
awww, poor FishGuy; still thinkin' its a job...tis a DISEASE, dear padawon. Btw, resistance is futile...even if you get the jab!

And I quoteth from thee Pond Bibliodocuque; "thou shall pulleth outeth any treeth thatth standth in thoust way"

LPS is the Balrog to your little Gandalf tree; thou SHALL not pass! Results will be the same, jus' sayin' !!!

[insert evil maniacal laugh track; I KNOW we ain't got the budget here for THAT!]

Ask a Question