My first swordtail baby!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So I my first swordtail baby today! And he is such a cutie! Since having tanks a few years ago, I've had:
1) Baby balloon belly molly, he disappeared, dead I'm sure.
2) 1 baby blood fin tetra, became adult
3) Many baby guppies, a lot died (we had about 30 at one point) now have about 5 viable teens.
The above have all been in the big tank.

Today, while looking at the small tank I suddenly saw a small red baby. I'd never seen a baby swordtail and these guys are really cute. Adult swordtails are sleek and long, but this baby is like a scrunched up shortened one. And unlike guppies which were mostly all light colored, this guy was full colored and bright red. And he's about 7mm long. He's too big to have been born recently so he must have been born a few days/week ago and was hiding until now.

Right now he's kinda out in the open but away from the other fish and he's not afraid of darting towards the flake food which is floating down. I'll see if I can take a pic but I doubt it. I've had a very hard time taking pics of my fish and this guy won't stay still or come to the glass. Guppies babies are not afraid of people and will come right to the glass. This little guy swims to the back whenever I get too close.

One thing I wanted to ask you guys. Would you guys like to pick some names for him?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! I used to get cichlid babies, you would see a piece of gravel moving...............it was a fry lol
Maybe in my uncared for home tank, full of plants some tetras they are making kids lol, will see when we head home.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy if you name him Haro look out................that's all I'm saying on the subject. That fish is gonna be a little prankster...........ok I said a bit more.............don't forget I warned you

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm a little worried about HARO. His tank is where the red claw crab will be going. HARO is mostly always towards the bottom so he would be within claw's reach easily. I'm thinking of putting a small enclosure in the small tank. It's an old filter enclosure that has bars that are narrow enough for fry to swim in and out but not big enough for big fish to go in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Val on her first ever Tropical Fish Show took the FBAS-Interpet champion's trophy with a male Sword tail :)
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, all I could ever muster were first placings lol

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I'm a little worried about HARO. I didn't see him at all this morning. Finally saw him hiding under some pipes around noon. In the afternoon, I fed the fish and he didn't come near the food at all, and he looks thin. Not sure if he had been chased during the night or why he's so skittish today. Anyway, will do 1-2 more feedings today and hope he eats something. When they are that small, they don't dare mix with the big fish and the big fish are gobbling everything they can so I overfeed a little so extra food drops down to the bottom where HARO is. But I can't overfeed all the time. Anyway, just an update.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well our Haro here does not hide, glad you found your haro, dr sir john huff

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
HARO is still alive this morning! I was going to report him missing, but after a long time I finally spotted him in the back. But he's still not eating. I haven't seen him eat for two days.

Funny that my two tanks have such different personalities. The small tank where HARO is only has 8 other fish, but these 8 are voracious and eat more than all the other guys in the bigger tank with more fish.

Also, I'm finding that inhabitants of the tanks are always hiding. Sometimes I don't see the shrimp for months and I think they're dead and then they finally show up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a small frog, it disappears, reappears, over and over. Finally quit worrying about it.

Ask a Question