My first waterfall/pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i am well into this project and so far its going ok , i'v built a rock retaining wall around the entire feature with a small upper holding pond above the waterfall that empties into the pond that i have dug down to bedrock with a number of shelf's and with the retaining wall i have just under 9ft of depth. How ever only after i have laid in the liner and started adding 3'' river rock i now realize my shelf's are not deep enough also my choice in rock wont allow me to build up to the shelf's without filling the bottom up and loosing ruffly 3.5ft of depth. what i am wondering is what kind of mortar can i use that's fish friendly to build up larger rock shelf's throughout the edges so i don't have plain uncovered liner. i will of course be using scrap pieces of liner under anything i'm building to prevent leeks ??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

I don't have rocks in my pond, but did build a shallow shelf around the edge of the pond. Laid rocks on the shelf up and out of the pond, hides the liner well.
pnd.JPG

Any naked liner gets covered with algae dirt and does not look like liner. You can see the liner here, around 5 foot depth, it looks just fine.
20160912_122713.jpg

Here is what the edge/ side looks like
f4.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If I remember correctly most concrete uses Portland cement as its prime ingredient, so really any concrete should be fine. You can also set larger rocks around the inside edge to build up to the shelf, as long as you have the equipment to lift and place the boulders. Nice looking build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only specialty concretes do not have Portland. All standard concrete mixes use Portland. Great stone work nicely done. What are you planning to do for a filter ? is there going to be fish ? and if you look closely at addy's second photo that is exposed liner after moter nature has her way with it . Algae will cover it so long as your not planning to add chlorine like a pool . I would be careful it from the pics looks like some rather sharp points. that may in time be able to cut underlayment. I quick shot with a cup scarifier should do the job that and or the roofing trades have a hd 1/8" asphalt based fiberglass sheet that would be great for a pre base.
The final is going to look fantastic and right on the water to boot ... NICE.. It looks like your completing the walls to the down hill and toward the house as the cap is poured ? how do you plant to secure the rubber as it comes up the wall? run it under a nice 2" lime stone cap?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for the photos!

Back to your questions - so you realize your shelves are not deep enough for what? Do you mean to hold the liner in place? You definitely don't ever want to put 3 feet of gravel in the bottom of a pond, but I'm unclear on how that will help with your shelf problem anyway. Explain it again and even if I don't get its, someone will!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I remember correctly most concrete uses Portland cement as its prime ingredient, so really any concrete should be fine. You can also set larger rocks around the inside edge to build up to the shelf, as long as you have the equipment to lift and place the boulders. Nice looking build.
Let it cure and wash down everything + remove the standing water. Let dry completely. I've never had any water problems. I coated my cement with insl x pool paint.

Ask a Question