My fish AND water have disappeared!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 200-gallon pond, with a dozen fish (Kois and Comets). A few days back I went out to check on my fish a day after large rain storm, only to find that ALL OF MY FISH AND WATER was missing! All that was left was a couple of Lilli pads and some leaves on the bottom!

I've since filled it up l again, and it is holding water just fine, so I don't think there is a leakage issue. There were no animal tracks or droppings nearby, and I assume it would have taken a large amount of animals to drink 200 gallons of water, anyways.

Anyone have any thoughts on what possibly could have happened?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow shy of water spouts or a flash flood I wouldnt have a clue s to the disaprearance of your koi and comets , I'm affraid , however a friendly word of warning @PlayItCoy , in that a dozen koi and comets in a 200 US gallon pond is courting almost certain disaster in that your stocking levels are way too high .
Koi can grow up to 3 ft in length in some cases but will grow to 24" within a year two at the most.
I have a 1,000 Imperial gallon koi pond and weve got less koi than you have with your 200US gallon setup and with the mother of all filter systems to support them .
Dependant as to where you live in the US you may get the pond frozen solid wihich is a sure fire death sentance to that amount of fish in such a small pond .
So for future reference keep the numbers down and if you must keep koi you must think 1,000 US gallons upwards if your going to keep them . stick to comets when you restock the pond

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @PlayItCoy :)

That is rather strange! Do you have a fountain? And was it very windy?
That may well account for where the waterwent Becky however that still leads all the fish, they may have been abducted : by an :alien: being my only other thought on this

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vandalism was our initial thought, too, but what happened to the 150 gallons of water? That's around 1,200 pounds. It's not easily disposed of or transported, at least not without any signs left behind.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Vandalism was our initial thought, too, but what happened to the 150 gallons of water? That's around 1,200 pounds. It's not easily disposed of or transported, at least not without any signs left behind.

The water certainly did not disappear due to evaporation and it is highly unlikely that enough animals were around to drink it. Unless a hose was left in this container that would allow loss due to siphoning, vandalism is the only remaining answer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If it's a liner I would guess that the water flooded over the pond and got under the liner and it floated it up and the fish swam away
Then the water ran off the floating liner and the water under it soaked in and the liner went back down with out the water and the fish

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If it's a liner I would guess that the water flooded over the pond and got under the liner and it floated it up and the fish swam away
Then the water ran off the floating liner and the water under it soaked in and the liner went back down with out the water and the fish

I mis-read the original post. I thought that this was a trough pond. If it was an in-ground liner pond installed over a high water table the hydrostatic pressure exerted by the additional water from the heavy rain could have lifted the liner emptying its contents including the fish which likely fell prey to other animals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I mis-read the original post. I thought that this was a trough pond. If it was an in-ground liner pond installed over a high water table the hydrostatic pressure exerted by the additional water from the heavy rain could have lifted the liner emptying its contents including the fish which likely fell prey to other animals.
Yes christ I forgot all about that , I've only ever seen it once on another fish website but that was years ago , its dependant on the water table and where it was when the pond was dug .
If the water table is too close to the surface/ high water table then it would indeed push the water up and out of the pond , but the fish would have been found in the garden and nomally the liner stays pushed up a bit like a whale breaching the surface @PlayItCoy what did you see when you came out after the storm was the liner pushed up into the pond ?
If this is the case unless you dig soak aways either side of the pond it may well happen again

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Before I learned to build my ponds above the flash flood high water flow ,
I used big rocks to hold the liner down

Last edited:

Ask a Question