My fish are like cats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know many of us have compared our fish to dogs -- with their enthusiasm and friendliness. I've found a way my fish are like cats.

For cat people -- you know what it's like to try to make a bed or do laundry with one in the room? They are all up in your business, curious beyond belief, and love to make a nuisance of themselves. No matter how harshly you speak to them or try to shoo them out of your workspace, they are PERSISTENT!

This is how my fish are when I clean the skimmer. I have a Helix, so the pump is around 2 1/2 feet below ground level, with a blue filter pad on top to collect muck and gunk, and a face plate on top of that to hold the skimmer basket. There is no "door" to the skimmer, since it's fish safe. They can freely swim in and out during operation. I turn the pump off and take out the basket, plate, and filter. It is a fish free for all! They love all the floating crud and want to know what's down there. After I've cleaned everything off, it's ridiculous trying to get them all out of my way so I can put stuff back. It's like a clown car full of crazies! Swishing my hands didn't work. I'd shoo two out and three would go in! Loud noises had no effect. What a challenge! I'm sure people walking by wondered what the heck was going on, since they couldn't see me, but could surely hear me! I think I need to set the faceplate in front of the skimmer opening, like a gate!

I guess I have cat fish. Or maybe clown fish!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My fish are always in the way when I am trying to trim the dead lily pads. And heaven forbid I try to bring the pots up to fertilize them - I can't get the pot back into the pond. The fish are right where the pot is suppose to be, checking out if there are any goodies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Crazy fish and I know exactly what you mean. I hardly ever actually get into the pond anymore cuz I have my long pole net but when I did they were all over whatever I was doing and picking at the little hairs on my legs constantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I always feel funky after and scrub up like a surgeon! But I have to dunk my arms down REALLY far to get that filter pad out from way down in the skimmer. Then I smell like Eau de Pond. Not bad, but pond-y. :)

Ask a Question