My fish have bumps and rough scales

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am new to this forum. My fish have bumps and very rough scales all over. It seems to be getting worse. I have my pond for about 8 years and never had any issues so far. I feel so bad for my fish although they seem to still be eating very well. I would like to treat them but I'm not sure if it is bacterial or a fungus possible. Does anyone know what this could be and what medication I should use? Thank you so much for your help

Attachments

• 20170423_122841.jpg
    20170423_122841.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some more pictures. Hopefully you can see it better. I also posted a picture of the pond. It's about 550 gallon. I have these fish for 8 to 10 years now. One of them has some rough patches on his head. It almost looks like it is an open sore.

Attachments

• 20170423_134949.jpg
    20170423_134949.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 20170423_135002.jpg
    20170423_135002.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 20170423_135029.jpg
    20170423_135029.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170423_134951.jpg
    20170423_134951.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 20170423_134646.jpg
    20170423_134646.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 20170423_135044.jpg
    20170423_135044.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 258

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would initially treat with Melafin and monitor the fishes' conditions. You may want to seriously consider either rehoming some of these large fish or adding more filtration and increased water flow.
What size pump and biofilter are you now using?
You may have gotten by without problems for 8 years but these fish have continued to grow during that time. You may have finally reached the tipping point of too much fish mass for the current system to adequately support.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poor water quality can make fish sick and the bigger they get the worse it could be Do you test the water .I saw fish like that were it turned out to be really high ammonia .I have been using hydroplex with really good success and not as harmful as some of the other stuff How big is the pond how deep is it and how many gallons

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would initially treat with Melafin and monitor the fishes' conditions. You may want to seriously consider either rehoming some of these large fish or adding more filtration and increased water flow.
You may have gotten by without problems for 8 years but these fish have continued to grow during that time. You may have finally reached the tipping point of too much fish mass for the current system to adequately support.
Thanks Meyer. I will try Melafin. We have upgraded our filtration system about two years ago to an Aqua Uv Ultima II which covers 6000 gallons.
I know these fish are really huge but I always thought they only grow as as much as their environment allows them to although I don't think the fish have heard of that rule. My husband was thinking about donating them but they have been with us for so long and are almost part of the family now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
poor water quality can make fish sick and the bigger they get the worse it could be Do you test the water .I saw fish like that were it turned out to be really high ammonia .I have been using hydroplex with really good success and not as harmful as some of the other stuff How big is the pond how deep is it and how many gallons
Thanks Sissy. My pond is about 10 feet by 5 feet by 3 feet deep I believe it's about 550 gallon I have not tested the water lately but I will definitely do that next

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how many fish and how big are they .I use hydroplex which I can only find on dr foster and smiths sight online .It is safer than a lot of the other stuff and it works on some of the sick fish I get from other peoples ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
how many fish and how big are they .I use hydroplex which I can only find on dr foster and smiths sight online .It is safer than a lot of the other stuff and it works on some of the sick fish I get from other peoples ponds
We have seven fish
We have seven fish approximately 12 to 18 inches long. I have ordered from dr. Foster's and Smith before also for my dogs. Will check into it.Thanks Sissy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
it works on some of the sick fish I get from other peoples ponds

This is a very important distinction. Not all treatments work on all ailments. It is better to attempt to find what the actual medical issue is before treating with any OTC medication. Side effects from an unnecessary medication can only cause more stress to an already impaired fish,
This is why I mentioned Melafix as it is a mild treatment that has minimal side effects (if any) and will many times correct an issue if treatment is administered early.
When is the last time that you tested the pond water?
The displayed symptoms do not indicate an Ammonia issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This seems to work on a wide variety of fish diseases .This has even smaller side afters than milafix or the pima .You have to try it to know .I have been using it for over 6 months now .Never saw a side effect ,no jumping no weird behavior .I used milafix in the past and it seems to work a but not as good as this ruby reef stuff called hydroplex

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"Even something as fairly useless as Ruby Reef Hydroplex has the ingredient list on the bottle. (Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparben, octyl dodecanol, polysorbate-20, polyvinal pyrolidone, potassium phosphate, potassium sorbate, propylparaben)"
This comment from another forum that was posted in 2005. This was the only mention of this product that could be found on the internet other than advertisements. If this product is so good then why is it no better known and carried by most retailers after being around for at least 12 years.
I did find after researching that of the nine (9) ingredients listed above seven (7) are used in the manufacture of cosmetics, one (1) is a preservative and one (1) is used to treat kidney stones.
Not what I would look for in a treatment for fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I would say it is probably a water quality/overcrowding issue. it looks like hole in the head and possibly fish pox.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is unless you have used it you don't know and I have used it and I have used all the other stuff also .I even tried minfin and will never try that again .I did try dr foster and smith stuff and it is good to a point .At least I can say when I used it that it worked and the other stuff I have used has not worked as well .I guees my comment and use is useless then .forget it then

Ask a Question