My fish have missing chunks of fin!

Reaction score
So not sure who the culprit is but several of my koi have what appears to be bite marks on their fins. I recently added a small Chagoi and yesterday I noticed piece about 1/3 the size of her tail fin was clean gone! Upon inspection I noticed she wasn't alone. I haven't noticed this before and am not sure who did it. We have 2 red eared slider turtles that I am thinking may have just started getting territorial (had them for 2 years + with no biting) but I am told that it could have been another fish. Before I kick my turtles to the curb, can anyone describe or have a pic of a turtle or fish bite?

We have 20+ koi (6" to 20"), 2 albino catfish (about 10"-12") 3 goldfish (standard), 1 shebunkin and 2 Chinese Suckerfish. The Sharks (aka suckerfish) are algea eaters and seem so docile but they are the most recent addition. My hubby thinks it's them but they don't even seem to care about the others.

Don't have pics at the moment but the bites seem to be clean cut and an kind of squareish oval shape most of the time. Haven't noticed any bites on the body, just fins and mostly tail and bottom fins. Anyone able to tell me what a fish bite vs. turtle bite looks like?

HELP!!!

Reaction score
And not sure it matters but we just had a spawning 2 weeks ago (on Cinco de Mayo) and also had to treat for flukes right before that. Trying to reduce the stress in the pond!

Reaction score
that's a tough one Jen as it could be any of those thoughts.. might help to remove and place turtles somewhere temp and see if problem persists if possible.. may have to remove the affected fish(s) if problem persists as if too much fin is destroyed they may not be able to swim and possibly evade further danger..

Reaction score
No one seems to be swimming funny, the poor new girl got beat up by the goldfish when we brought her home, guess they were trying to mate with her and rubbed scales off her sides :sad: That has healed up and all the bites appear to be on the "fringe" and not on the thick part so I'm sure they will heal. That said, this could escalate for sure!

It may be time to just say adios to the turtles though. I have heard both good and bad stories about them (some claim they can tear through 45 mm EDPM) but one thing is certain, they are MESSY! Like little aquatic pigs. :grumble: They are always getting stuck in something (inlet, skimmer, etc.) and only 1 even comes out when we are outside. I LOVE watching them, they are adorable but I can't say they are pets, more like possessions (their choice not mine). Our fish are like dogs and we pet them :luxlove:, so very different personalities.

Reaction score
ah yes... turtles are pretty messy from what i have heard.. know it will be a tough choice/decision but i would say fish over turtles as well

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think prolly the turtles. I know the Plecosomus fish can sometimes suck on the other fish but it wouldn't be a clean bite, more like a sore spot. Poor turtles.............maybe you should watch closer and see for sure before you kick them to the curb,lol!

Reaction score
Well if they go they will return to my sister-in-law's pond at their new place so I won't literally kick them out :.) And yeas, I would think that the sucker fish couldn't pull it clean off, more ripping. I wish the turtles would allow us to observe them, they hide if we are around :sad:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'd say the turtles. Fish tend to tear and shred things, and usually go for the scales, Turtles have closely mating jaws, and tend to take a clean bite from fins. I have four Red-ears, but NOT in with my fish... they have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub of their own in summer, and slightly more crowded quarters in the cold season.
John

Ask a Question