My fish were out for a walk the other day.

Reaction score
After a particularly heavy rain I went out to the pond to check things out. I found one of my fish had gone out for a walk. it had been probably an hour since the rain had ceased. 20 feet away from my pond I found a comet laying in the grass I tossed him back in the pond and apparently after a minute or two he was back swimmin around.

To add insult to injury, the next day my very full pond was empty. My filter behind the water fall had become clogged. It is a five gallon bucket with several levels of media in it. Being an in line filter it is subject to blowing it's top, my 1800 gallon per hour pump made short work of emptying the pond.

My well got a work out that day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
also a good reason to like the pump at lowes it shuts itself off in low water and mine is 2 feet or more off the bottom .You do not burn your pump out with the lowes one it has a reset switch

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
need to put it up higher if possible mine is 2 feet off the bottom and yep rain can lower ph thats why i keep baking soda on hand .I test before I add it and once stabilized then you keep it that way with crushed oyster shells from a farm store like tractor supply .

Reaction score
I am generally mean to my fish. I give them a home to live in.

I clean out the pine needles on occasion. But have never checked the chemistry.

The only time I lost fish was from hurricane leaf litter poisoning. Tons of pine needles.

Within hours of the storm fish were gulping air on the surface.

What do you think caused the problem so fast.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pine needles are very acidic and even my property was full of pines and had to sweeten the soil with tons of lime just to get grass to grow .My ponding bench I made holds my pond supplies and staples are peroxide ,baking soda ,crushed oyster shells ,bags of activated charcoal and lots of dollar store laundry bags to put the stuff in and of course my lava rock and kitty litter for my plants in the pond .

glass top makes it easy to clean and safety glass I got free at the dump and a few of my fishy friends :razz:

Attachments

• ponding bench 2012 048.JPG
    ponding bench 2012 048.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 259
  • ponding bench 2012 051.JPG
    ponding bench 2012 051.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 267
  • ponding bench 2012 018.JPG
    ponding bench 2012 018.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 221

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The truss on top painted green is for a side shelf ,guess I have to take a pic now that it is done .I made 2 side shelves and the truss were leftovers from a house that was built down the street and they put everything down by the road that was garbage with a free sign ,who can pass up free . :razz:

Ask a Question