My fishes dying

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Why my fishes are dying without anything wrong.
Yesterday one of my shubunkin died, but she was looking not so active from last few days. Yesterday morning when I looked she was swimming on her side(like 1 eyes up and 1 eye downside) extremely slow. Then it looked like shes faint, no action but when looked close she was slowly opening and closing the mouth. After some minutes suddenly don't know what happened to her, she started swimming extremely fast(but not properly) in random direction, like something is hurting her tooooo bad. Then in some seconds she stopped in that lily container and no action now.
Now I picked her out, no activity so she was totally dead then. Checked her carefully but no sign of any injury, parasite, rot, fungus or anything.
DSC_0131.JPG

And this morning my mom told my there is a dead goldie(fantail) in the pond. I thought she was kidding but then I checked by myself and the was it she was lying in the bottom on the pond. Took her out she was really dead. Checked her also but no sign. She was very active till yesterday or day before yesterday if I'm not wrong.
IMG_20160813_114641.jpg

Now what could be the reason. I'm totally out of ideas. Only reason I can think of is rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Ithink amonia , nitrates , did u check? Were they doing this after rain only or since few days? Did u chech if there gills and mouth were swallen? Ur pump was running 24 hours?
Yes after rain fishes need more cycling water , change some water and aeration.
Rain contains nitrates and some times it suffocates them by mixing carbondioxide from bottom bczvrain is cool and it pushes top aerated water downwards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
any other fish beeing lazy or swimming near surface?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Like usman said, what are your water parameters. And what is the water temperature?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've tested my rainwater once and got CRAZY ammonia readings. Water change?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Post the numeric test results as soon as you can. Then we can begin to eliminate sources of your problem.
Unless you are getting run-off into your pond, it would take a tremendous amount of rain to cause any noticeable negative effect to your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Harshit ..... Like @Meyer Jordan said, we need the numbers from your tests. And any other information about the fish and pond you can give..... Your description of the fish was helpful.

And to everyone else, until we get more information, let's not start diagnosing the problem and NOT start giving advice, please. It only adds to the confusion that he's dealing with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Post the numeric test results as soon as you can. Then we can begin to eliminate sources of your problem.
Unless you are getting run-off into your pond, it would take a tremendous amount of rain to cause any noticeable negative effect to your pond.
Currently don't have any test kit. :(
I'll get one tomorrow or get the water tested.
Feeling helpless at this time. I hope other fishes stay well

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Currently don't have any test kit. :(
I'll get one tomorrow or get the water tested.
Feeling helpless at this time. I hope other fishes stay well
Until you get a test kit, you could go ahead and do a water change. Draw off maybe 1/3 of the pond's volume and replace it with fresh, dechlorinated water [if yours has chlorine or chloramines added].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Do u think nitrates level and nitic acid rain has relation to yearly rain percipitation , level can b less where rain fall is high and other factors can contribute aswell , emission of gases , pollution etc bcz he lives in rajistan its desert most of it.

ihv noticed similer behaviour here when it rained after long gap the fishes show very bad symptoms all would come on surface gasping for air ,eithor could be mixing of carbondioxide in warmer places as rain is cooler whats your research on it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do u think nitrates level and nitic acid rain has relation to yearly rain percipitation , level can b less where rain fall is high and other factors can contribute aswell , emission of gases , pollution etc bcz he lives in rajistan its desert most of it.

ihv noticed similer behaviour here when it rained after long gap the fishes show very bad symptoms all would come on surface gasping for air ,eithor could be mixing of carbondioxide in warmer places as rain is cooler whats your research on it.
Rainfall can contain many different pollutants depending on geographical location, but as to how it may affect a garden pond simple math is all that is involved.
A garden pond properly constructed will not suffer any contamination from run-off due to irrigation or rainfall. This leaves only the surface area of the pond to collect rainfall. The amount of rainfall collected by this surface area in gallons is a very low percentage of the pond's total capacity. Example: A Pond is 10' x 10' x 2' deep, vertical sides. Capacity in gallons is 1496 gallons. This pond is exposed to 1 inch of rainfall. The amount of rain (in gallons) is 100 sq.ft. x 0.083 (1/12th of an inch) = 8.3 cubic feet or 62 gallons. This 62 gallons then needs to be added to the existing pond capacity- 1496 + 62 = 1558 gallons. So the rainfall percentage of the total pond capacity is 62/1558 or about 4%. Since the pollutants contained in the rainfall will always be considerable less than 100% this means that considerably less than 4% pollution is added to a pond with a 1 inch rainfall event. To truly affect the balance of a pond rainfall would need to 1. Be falling at a quite heavy rate, 2. Be continuous for several hours or days, 3. Contain quite high levels of a known pollutant(s).
Usually the temperature of the rainfall will be the source of any occurring issues.

Ask a Question