My fishes dying

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Like @Usman said, here in Rajasthan mostly it rains only for 2-3 months during monsoon season of june-july-aug-sept.
And the time it was really heavy like 2.44 inch. Don't know about other factors but I don't think any pollution affecting the rain, as we live 10Kms away from the main urban area or pollution zone.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Its been running for around 1 week
Size is 2000liters
and there were 6 fishes, now only 4 are left

Is this a separate pond from your original one? I, and I am sure others here, were thinking that this was your established pond. If this pond has only been functional for a week, then Ammonia is the problem. It is normal for Ammonia to spike during the first week or so in a new pond with fish. Water changes may be your only course of action since your immediate access to other curatives is limited.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Is this a separate pond from your original one? I, and I am sure others here, were thinking that this was your established pond. If this pond has only been functional for a week, then Ammonia is the problem. It is normal for Ammonia to spike during the first week or so in a new pond with fish. Water changes may be your only course of action since your immediate access to other curatives is limited.
OMG! am very sorry,a mistake there, it was running for 1 month.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
And yeah one thing I forgot to tell here. Before rain the water was green(one can only see upto 15-16 inches through that water). But now its crystal clear. Maybe due to lack of sunlight. Or any chemical changes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I got very shocked to when I was in market. I was looking for water test kit and went to 2 most reputed aquarium shops of the city.
When I went to 1st shop and asked-"do you have water testing kit?" He asked me -"What?"(Like he heard this term first time)
I said-"that kit for testing aquarium water" he said-"no"
I asked him-"do know any other place I can get that" he said-"no idea"

Then went to the other shop, the owner was sitting on counter and looking for new shoes in some mobile shopping app.
He looked at me n I asked- "do you have that test kit" he simply said- "no" and continued his shopping.
I asked him if he know anyone else where I can get that, he said there is chemical shop in backstreet, there you can get that.
I told myself-"you better order it online, there is no sense in running here and there"
Then as I came home first thing I did was open amazon and ordered that "testing kit"

Am still wondering how people maintain their aquariums here, or I think these shop guys want to sell more fishes.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Harshit OMG! I can't believe it, but then I'm used to things the way they are here. The attitude of the shopkeepers here might be a little different [but they can be just as bad], but at least I know I can go into the store and purchase what I need. I hope your test kit comes soon!

And how are the rest of your fish doing? Any unusual behavior?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Harshit OMG! I can't believe it, but then I'm used to things the way they are here. The attitude of the shopkeepers here might be a little different [but they can be just as bad], but at least I know I can go into the store and purchase what I need. I hope your test kit comes soon!

And how are the rest of your fish doing? Any unusual behavior?
I think they're all doing well now.
In the afternoon that one small shubunkin was missing,checked under lilypads but not found. I thought ONE MORE FISH GONE!
But thank god she was playing around when I checked in the evening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It rained again yesterday evening. And this morning received my test kit.
So here are the test result of pond water-
1. Ammonia- 0.25 (not sure if 0 or 0.25 but it looks more closer to 0.25)
IMG_1395.JPG

2. pH- its 8.2 I think

IMG_1397.JPG

3. Nitrite- its a clear 0 ppm
IMG_1398.JPG

4. Nitrate- its also 0 ppm
IMG_1399.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ammonia looks like 0.25 to me. With a higher ph the ammonia is more toxic to your fish. If you have something that binds ammonia making it safe for the fish I would use it (Prime is a good choice if it's available to you) if not you will want to do water changes so the ammonia doesn't get so high it kills your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Now I understand the reason why my mollies were doing very well in this pond.
All that time I was worried that how these small fishes will be able to survive in this pond environment.

Ask a Question