My goldfish are swimming at the very surface...

Olenka

Life is beautiful! Enjoy every moment
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
... the water tests are normal - exactly as they were last fall when we started the new pond. Ammonia levels might be slightly more than 0, but it is definitely less than 0.25; Nitrite and Nitrate are equal to 0. The pH is at 8.2, which is rather high, but it has always been like that. (I am using API test kit)

We have only 2 goldfish in a 600-gallon pond and we do not feed them. So, it is definitely not an overpopulation issue.
They woke up a couple of weeks ago and started swimming around and munching on whatever they could find in the water. Every day they were getting more and more active. I have not noticed any signs of abnormal behavior until this morning. Today our red one swims at the surface, stops every minute or 2 and tries to catch food on the surface. Or does he gasp for air? After several "gasps" he resumes to swimming. Our white one sits at the surface in a shady area. Sometimes he joins his red fellow, but doesn't gasp?fetch food. Both of them are alert. When I approach the pond, they dive deeper and come back up when I am gone. This behavior is still continuing.

Should I be worried? Please give me some advice!
Thank you!

P.S. We live in zone 6. This week the air temperature is fluctuating between 40-50 at night and 60- 70 at day time. I did not take water temperature yet. It feels like 50 plus/minus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, it might be a problem but from your specs, I'd say not. My goldfish will hang near the top too but I haven't seen any other deleterious behavior. Keep an eye and if they stop eating, then maybe consider something else is going on. But 2 goldfish in 600 gallons should give you plenty of leeway.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I did. I just wanted my questions to be answered as soon as possible. Posting in 2 forums I would get more attention. If my fish is about to die, I'd like to know how to save it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, I did. I just wanted my questions to be answered as soon as possible. Posting in 2 forums I would get more attention. If my fish is about to die, I'd like to know how to save it.
Maybe the moderators can move your question to the “illness” topic. That way, it’s more likely to be seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine have been doing the same, I think. In my case, I think they are just getting more active and hungry as the weather warms up. When it was super cold, they were down at the bottom. Now they are all over the place. Every little bit of pollen or tree blossoms that land on the pond surface, they think is dinner. They are definitely "shopping" for snacks. I don't know if this is what is happening in your pond, but I hope so! Crossing my fingers for you!

Reaction score
I think the one that is moving around the surface, then taking some stops and perhaps eating is probably OK.
I would be concerned about the one just hanging at the surface in the shade... although having said that, we have a indoor tank that has a fancy oranda that loves to hang out at the top of the tank ALOT - just skimming the surface in one particular corner... ever since we brought it home a couple years back. It will eat and forage occasionally but it loves to just hang at the surface.
Keep an eye on that one that is hanging in the shade is my advice, but as others have said, it's warming up and perhaps they are just getting more active.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It seems normal, but I have to ask if you have any type of aeration just to be sure there isn't a lack of oxygenation.
Any disturbance at the water surface will suffice. It doesn't have to be a sophisticated air pump with air stones, but that would be a plus.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It seems normal, but I have to ask if you have any type of aeration just to be sure there isn't a lack of oxygenation.
Any disturbance at the water surface will suffice. It doesn't have to be a sophisticated air pump with air stones, but that would be a plus.
I don't. I beleave I do not need it yet. There are only 2 fish in 650 gallons of water.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you, everyone!
My babies are fine. They swim all over the pond: surface, bottom, and between.
Maybe yesterday they were just sun tanning ;):p

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought a couple of my koi had gone blind over the winter. I threw in some Cheerios and 2 fish were totally missing the food. Everybody good now, guess they were just still half asleep from winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
missing food, half asleep, groggy, slow moton, and pelted with Cheerios...if I didn't know better, sounds like you're describing me...:p

Ask a Question