My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JW. Thanks. Yes. The pond needs to be a huge consideration on where we move next. Thanks Colleen. I'm going to wait to see what the yard looks like before I plan it. I'll probably stick with goldfish and no Koi like I have now. For the last couple years better than 95% of my time around the pond has been relaxing around it and not having to do anything and I'd like to keep it that way!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the last couple years better than 95% of my time around the pond has been relaxing around it and not having to do anything and I'd like to keep it that way!
I really enjoy my goldfish pond, it takes very little effort from me to keep it happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, I don't think newbies always know what they are getting into with all the work involved when they build a pond and start with Koi. Koi are really beautiful but can take a lot of work. Goldfish are a great alternative because of their range of behaviour and interesting patterns and colors, and so much easier to care for. I never realized how interesting goldfish were until I had a pond. I know I'm preaching to the choir with this but had to let my feelings be known!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dave, Of course you don't mind because you are an expert and I'm sure you have great fish. I admire Koi ponds, It's just it's not for me and probably there are others out there that maybe should have looked into goldfish first. I think it's almost automatic that people start with Koi for a new pond. I know whenever I mention I have a pond most people either ask if i have Koi or say ...what is the name of that fish? My point was there is another good alternative that some people should look into. Here is a picture of a really nice koi pond I saw over the summer when I went on the local tour.just to show I appreciate Koi too!
IMG_20140719_131705_177.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Goldfish are always beautiful and just as pretty as koi in my eyes, that is why I will always have my little collection of goldfish in the bottom pond. I also have them mixed in Middle Pond, some koi and some goldfish so "Blackie" (my one half Koi/goldfish won't feel alone and unloved! :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koi would eat me out of house and home and cost much more than my goldfish. Goldfish are economical little critters and are just as enjoyable as the Koi and they take up less room so you can have more varieties unless you do like I did and buy 12 oj feeder fish which multiplied into more oj goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay, We have been house hunting or in my case yard hunting for a new pond. We are seriously considering this property in the city. This would be the yard for the pond in different views front and back, and the last one a different season. It may seem small but it is very difficult to find lots of this size in the area we are looking. Also there is a pretty wide cement area right behind the building we would pull out and put in pavers or something else. My first thought is to cut down the pine tree and put the pond in the big square area on the right side of the first picture. All comments appreciated!!
m_P_1415750160262_yard_from_deck_1.JPEG
m_P_1415750194747_back_yard_ainslie.JPEG
m_P_1415750491749_garage.JPEG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey that looks like a real nice area for a pond and yes w/o the tree. Too many needles going in the water if you let it stay.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't make the pictures bigger so I can see them better but what I can see looks great. If you keep the tree for shade, you should consider some type of fall structure. Those dang trees shed worse than my cat. But I do like the additional shade in the summer.

Ask a Question