My good deal, What's your score story?

Reaction score
I drove by a dumpster and found a fish tunnel, new left over scrape from a construction area. Yes I know dumpster diving is illegal, but I've been doing it for 20 years now. Not often only when something is found for "re-use". I drove back at night after picking my 13 year old son up at a friends house. He wouldn't get out of the car, well it gets better. I was driving a 2001 corvette with a hatch. I never would have put it in the vet if it had been dirty!!!! Once diving is in the blood it never leaves!!!

Last month I picked clean (like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat) a demolition house's gardens.....I can't help myself. I got permission with the garden clean out!
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I scored lots of plumbing pieces when builder was building houses in my development .He put them in the burn piles and i rescued them .When he was grading properties I scored lots of good rocks also .My little red mower and cart worked hard collecting stuff .

Reaction score
Dumpster diving is illegal?
Depends on your local ordnances or the business or construction site the dumpster is on. Goodwill throws out tons of stuff but if your caught in their dumpster they will bust ya!!! No fence hopping. I've gotten old wood flooring from a downtown building and the site manager said, "no, but we leave at 6".

Reaction score
I scored lots of plumbing pieces when builder was building houses in my development .He put them in the burn piles and i rescued them .When he was grading properties I scored lots of good rocks also .My little red mower and cart worked hard collecting stuff .
I can just see you driving thru the hood and the neighbors saying, "there goes sissy out for another night of picking"!

Cheap entertainment and a thrill

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy I remember one night long ago my teenage son and I decided to go dumpster diving in the one behind the 2nd hand store. He said from experience that they had lots of good stuff they toss. I mean they were throwing perfectly good junk away! And Oprah had a show about it on tv and all the good stuff you could find for free,even artwork and home decor. So we drove over there and parked and walked over to the dumpster. Climbed inside and we were scoring big time. A guitar, tupperware, plant pots etc. until a couple bright lights slowly came at us. We ducked down fearing it was muggers coming to get our goods we had so meticulously found digging through all the junk. We decided we better get out of there and so jumped out and hid behind a bunch of boxes. Then we heard "Ok you two, come out w/ your hands up!" It was a lady cop w/ her gun pointed right at us! Yikes we were not criminals or murderous thugs, we were just Oprah's picker fans. So we come out w/our hands up and she says "When you hide I think you are up to no good, so what's your story?" We told her and she said well maybe you should just ask the store for permission. Yada, yada, yada............and she told us to leave and never come back! That was the end of our dumpster diving experience and so much for Oprah!
I've learned to be much more careful now on where and how I pick :D

Reaction score
I scored carpet people threw out to put under my liner.
That's great! I got some from a hotel near my house also. Best part was it was all glued down do there where no staples!! I love carpet underlayment, it helps me sleep at night!

Reaction score
Oh boy I remember one night long ago my teenage son and I decided to go dumpster diving in the one behind the 2nd hand store. He said from experience that they had lots of good stuff they toss. I mean they were throwing perfectly good junk away! And Oprah had a show about it on tv and all the good stuff you could find for free,even artwork and home decor. So we drove over there and parked and walked over to the dumpster. Climbed inside and we were scoring big time. A guitar, tupperware, plant pots etc. until a couple bright lights slowly came at us. We ducked down fearing it was muggers coming to get our goods we had so meticulously found digging through all the junk. We decided we better get out of there and so jumped out and hid behind a bunch of boxes. Then we heard "Ok you two, come out w/ your hands up!" It was a lady cop w/ her gun pointed right at us! Yikes we were not criminals or murderous thugs, we were just Oprah's picker fans. So we come out w/our hands up and she says "When you hide I think you are up to no good, so what's your story?" We told her and she said well maybe you should just ask the store for permission. Yada, yada, yada............and she told us to leave and never come back! That was the end of our dumpster diving experience and so much for Oprah!
I've learned to be much more careful now on where and how I pick :D
Oh my goodness!!! That will teach ya or sure!!! You have some toe curling experiences!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And I thought it would be much more peaceful moving out to the country now......................that is not always the case as I have found :whistle:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
jw :LOL::ROFLMAO:I could see that .I just drive around the hood with my lawnmower if the houses are close and learned the hard way to take an extra gas can with me :)here the recycle all carpet and underlayment so they have drop off points for it .Did score a big piece of rubber roofing at the dump ,needed it to for under 1 of my waterfall filters .

Reaction score
Well If anyone wants a cut of the pipe let me know! I'll ship it!!! I already made a pretty cool fish hide from a 5 gallon bucket. I attached some liner on top and glued rocks to it. I can see my pond storage area growing and it's only my first year!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep I have 4 totes of parts and made myself a pond bench like a potting bench but for pond storage stuff .You eventually need some thing from your stash of stuff .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have the opposite story. We have done a lot of work for banks helping fix up foreclosed properties the last few years.We had a condo project that we finished for a bank and a whole garage full of building supplies we had to clear out. I rented a dumpster and filled it up. By the next day there was a line of cars waiting to get stuff. One person even harassed one of our workers that he saw something a few hours earlier and now it wasn't there anymore by the time he got his truck. I could have saved the cost of the dumpster and just put everything outside!

Ask a Question