My guys are very interested in my camera

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a most interesting video.
What are those cylinders at the surface? Are they some kind of pond insulation?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking fish! Mine come and clean the cams now and then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone the spheres you see at the top are polystyrene insulation balls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
as long as you don't have a fish overload, should be fine but realize, IF your bubble plastic is RIGHT on the surface, you inhibit oxygenation. Best to have an air gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as long as you don't have a fish overload, should be fine but realize, IF your bubble plastic is RIGHT on the surface, you inhibit oxygenation. Best to have an air gap.
i only have 4 fish in 500 liter tank yes there is part of the water that does not have any of the polly balls plus l have oxygenators runing 24/7

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i only have 4 fish in 500 liter tank yes there is part of the water that does not have any of the polly balls plus l have oxygenators runing 24/7
oxygenators=aerators, yes? Then no problem as the bursting bubble AT THE surface will proved the oxygen the fish need. The idea here is to get you to realize NO measureable amount of oxygenation happens with the BUBBLES rising up through the water. It's all at the surface this happens.

BUT, realize, 4 fish in basically 120 gallons of water is probably the max for gf unless you DO proved a lot of filtration and aeration. Goldfish are more forgiving koi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
oxygenators=aerators, yes? Then no problem as the bursting bubble AT THE surface will proved the oxygen the fish need. The idea here is to get you to realize NO measureable amount of oxygenation happens with the BUBBLES rising up through the water. It's all at the surface this happens.

BUT, realize, 4 fish in basically 120 gallons of water is probably the max for gf unless you DO proved a lot of filtration and aeration. Goldfish are more forgiving koi.
Yes l will only be having the four in the Tank as l know they can grow quite large.l decided to start keeping fish beginning of last summer,l had known about Tank size according to how many fish you want to keep and what type of fish,but everything else was a learning process and boy is there a lot to learn lol These type of sites are great for sharing and gaining information about how to look after fish l have lean a lot since l set up my tank back in the beginning of summer last year.so far my little friends seem to be thriving and growing well it is great to be able to get information from fish keepers that have a lot of advice and help to give,thanks Brokensword

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Speaking of insulation, my current pond is a small 125 gallon pond, so i use a trough heater. It's an above ground pond. I tossed some frogbits in it a long time ago. The trough heater makes them survive the winter and it's funny that they insulate the water just like those air balls. I am actually having to toss some out during the winter until the freeze came in this month. I also have the bog turned on as well..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Speaking of insulation, my current pond is a small 125 gallon pond, so i use a trough heater. It's an above ground pond. I tossed some frogbits in it a long time ago. The trough heater makes them survive the winter and it's funny that they insulate the water just like those air balls. I am actually having to toss some out during the winter until the freeze came in this month. I also have the bog turned on as well..
the only thing is, IF your pond freezes, doesn't the frogbit freeze and hence, turn to mush? That then would cause water issues in the spring/maybe winter months. When I have my hornwort get to the top and it froze, that's what happened to me. Since putting up the winter tent, no ice, no problems anymore. Plus, any covering of the surface that is 'solid' will prohibit light from entering and that affects the algae you have and want, below, for any winter oxygenation. So, I'd not have a pond fully covered with plantings as insulation. IF the bubble wrap/solar cover she's using is clear, that provides a way to allow light, which is a benefit along with keeping in some heat. Too, there should be an air gap so there CAN be oxygen exchange, hence why I asked and explained how that process really happens as MOST think it's from the bubbles rising, which it is not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
the only thing is, IF your pond freezes, doesn't the frogbit freeze and hence, turn to mush? That then would cause water issues in the spring/maybe winter months. When I have my hornwort get to the top and it froze, that's what happened to me. Since putting up the winter tent, no ice, no problems anymore. Plus, any covering of the surface that is 'solid' will prohibit light from entering and that affects the algae you have and want, below, for any winter oxygenation. So, I'd not have a pond fully covered with plantings as insulation. IF the bubble wrap/solar cover she's using is clear, that provides a way to allow light, which is a benefit along with keeping in some heat. Too, there should be an air gap so there CAN be oxygen exchange, hence why I asked and explained how that process really happens as MOST think it's from the bubbles rising, which it is not.

With the trough heater, the water doesnt freeze.

Ask a Question