My heart is broken !

Reaction score
Country
United States
My beautiful koi fish have been on their sides for weeks :( I live in New England Ma. and the winter has been crazy!! My Koi are 9 years old the koi are a little under 2 feet long, and the weather is starting to warm up but sadly i think they died last night or today because I can't see the fins or mouths moving. I do not want to remove them in case they are still alive?? Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
My beautiful koi fish have been on their sides for weeks :( I live in New England Ma. and the winter has been crazy!! My Koi are 9 years old the koi are a little under 2 feet long, and the weather is starting to warm up but sadly i think they died last night or today because I can't see the fins or mouths moving. I do not want to remove them in case they are still alive?? Can anyone help me?

Reaction score

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very sorry. If you can add aeration. Maybe a smaller water change could help. I live in RI and it was a tough winter for sure. Good luck

Reaction score
Hello robin, so sorry to hear of your beautiful Koi :( I had a huge tanker come to town :) the one driver let me walk up the ladder so I could see and pick out which Koi I wanted! My Koi were about 2 ft. long also :) I would throw watermelon rinds out on the pond The fish would love to suck on the red melons! sadly, one morning there was a quick flash ICE on the pond! the Koi came up and onto the ice, they were all in a row and landed on top! there was nothing I could do to get them, in the mean time the huge HERONS poked and killed them all ;(

Please let me know the outcome of your pretty Koi? I know I was heart sick when my wonderful Koi's were frozen ;( B7954104.jpg B7954104.jpg B7954104.jpg
Hugs, Tootsie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Darn, sorry to hear, but hopefully they are not dead, and just stunned with the weather change. Going to follow this thread in the hopes that you get good news. In the meantime, you can use a net and gently move them. If they don't swim away, you will know they have died. If they are sick, you know to do a water change and get some bubbles going in there. Did you have any water movement during the winter months or have opening in the ice last winter? Just trying to figure out if they did die, what could have caused it. We all want to know the answer to that question.

Ask a Question