My hubby, me, our fish and now Rats!

Reaction score
South Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom.
Country
United Kingdom
Baz my husband and myself had decided to make a garden pond in the back garden and its a Oase PE 600 (800) (1550 x 1150 x 450mm) so its not too big but not tiny either. We are getting on a bit and so it is just a nice size for us and we were really enjoying watching the fish and learning all about them when one morning we went out to find one missing then two and there was holes in the air pipes that had been made by something chewing at them. We know that in the area we live there are Rats and we have seen the odd one in the garden and as we thought we had got rid of them. Then today our dog chased something and ended up in the pond! He is one heck of a rat catcher he has caught moles before today as he has Jack Russell in him. The question is are we right in thinking the rats could be what is taking the fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have only just seen how to put one photo onto here and that is the one that is showing but when I get a bit more used to the way this site works I will pop some that I have taken on my phone on here. I have a video too on phone so I can pop that on here to. Thank you for the welcomes that we have received I am getting excited to see the messages and it is a very nice feeling to know there are people out there that like what we like and be able to chat with them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! We have rats and squirrels. I’ve never known the rats to bother the fish, though I guess it could happen. Biggest problem I see with them is the damage caused by chewing, though fortunately not my liner! They are rodents and their teeth are always growing, so they have to chew or gnaw on things to control the growth. I have a lot of PVC lying around, and am always finding where the critters have “sharpened” it for me, LOL! Same goes for wood, metal, and bird feeders (we have critter-proof feeders, but the still gnaw on the metal).

I’m not going to say that rats don’t get fish.....but I would lean more toward a bird, raccoon, snake......something along those lines.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you TurtleMommy, here in the UK we don't have raccoon and the only snake we have is the grass snake and the adder and they are more the other end of country in cornwall area. So that leaves the birds which we have seen quite a few sparrow hawks and kestrel that hover above but not seen them swoop near where we live. I know Herons are around but again not seen any close to us. I have talked to hubby about having a pagoda over pond and then some sort of net but he is not very well at the moment but it may stop birds seeing the pond but I am not sure as I was thinking, we could do all that then find out its the rats after all. Its enough to pull your hair out :confused:lol.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of pond fanatics!

Hope you can figure it out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and greetings. Have you considered a Stoat as the culprit. I know they are fierce in the water, land, pretty much anywhere. Its the time of year for feeding young, and also Stoats do store food. I have seen them kill before, leaving very little evidence. A stoat will take rabbits, chickens and fish, leaving a tuft of fur or a few feathers. They emptied my cousins rabbit hutch years ago, a very sad day. I do know growing up it was always vital to lock up the chickens, young turkeys or the the results would often be detrimental. They will swim and hunt and are good it too. Whatever or whoever the culprit may be, I hope you figure it out.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cute little rascals, though, those stoats...
A60C7523-ECDE-45E6-B7A0-0A4428BE1303.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, @Tara!

Ask a Question