My Koi acting stranged

Reaction score
My koi are acting stranged since i move them to the main pond they been always at the bottom
they only surface once yesterday when i throw some pellets. and also i notice that the amount of pellets they usually eat was reduce(tons of pellets are still floating).

i usually feed my koi 4x a day without any pellets left.

is it probably because of stress from moving them from a pond to another?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be stress it could be they arent used to the water chemistry of that pond try adding a little garlic to their food that normally gets them eating again

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If it continues however it may well be something like Parasites or water quality issues in the new pond

Dave

Reaction score
dave, about the onion do i need to slice and mice them?

last night they were eating just fine but i need to turn the lights out first then they start to play at the surface.
and this morning their back to the corner like yesterday..

i wonder if its due to the waters deep?(im using at least 2ft deep. half the deep of my pond)
their are 26 koi's around 4-5" i quarantine them on a box pond ( 8ft x 1.6ft and a deep of 8" ) right after i got them from a local farm

how long does stress usually last?
and also i notice sometimes they bump on the pond(i wonder why)

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they are coming from a smaller area, it can most deffenantly stress them and make them hide when you are in sight of them.
Do you have plants and maybe water lilies to give them some since of protection. They will come out of it just give them time :)

Reaction score
don't have any lilies as of yet. i only got very thick garden net for shade and some garden plants.

Reaction score
Aww. They will get used to their surroundings. :)
My pets have gotten used to me over the years, I can put my hand in the water and they will swim up to me and let me pet them ( if that's what you can call it lol...) but it's taken a long time for them to get used to me. I've found repetition works well. Try to feed them everyday at the same time and in the same place, also you can squat down next to the pond so you don't look so big to them. Good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
dave, about the onion do i need to slice and mice them?

last night they were eating just fine but i need to turn the lights out first then they start to play at the surface.
and this morning their back to the corner like yesterday..

i wonder if its due to the waters deep?(im using at least 2ft deep. half the deep of my pond)
their are 26 koi's around 4-5" i quarantine them on a box pond ( 8ft x 1.6ft and a deep of 8" ) right after i got them from a local farm

how long does stress usually last?
and also i notice sometimes they bump on the pond(i wonder why)
You can finely chop the garlic or exract the juice of the garkic to treat your fish with you can buy it in extract form at your local fish store (its made by Seachems or last but not least buy it in concentrated form form your local supermarket
I hope this helps ?

Dave

Reaction score
finally they starting to go near me when i throw some pellets below me:D
before i got chance to use some garlic on their pellets.

thanks for the advice guys(y)

Last edited:

Ask a Question