My koi are spawning!

Reaction score
First time i have actually seen my koi start spawning! Went out to the pond today and my 3 largest koi were going crazy around each other. I have some water lettuce and hyacinth with some pretty long roots so hopefully i have some eggs soon! As soon as i see the eggs have been laid can I move them into a separate tank?

Reaction score
yes, once you see those eggs you transport them to whatever holding container you will keep them in.

Don't forget that you will need to begin feeding them as soon as they hatch. You can crush up koi food into a very fine dust, or get 'em going on some live foods.

Reaction score
Yup, if they hatch ill use the crumbled up pellets until i can get to our pond nursery and pick up some live daphnia. Keeping my fingers crossed!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you can, set up several brine shrimp hacheries. Harvest 1 each day for their food. I feed mine brine shrimp for the first 6 weeks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Look under plants and in the string algae if you have any. I remove all that stuff with the eggs and place it into an aquarium for the 3-5 hatch.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips! Maybe they were just warming up, lol. No strong smells, no sign of eggs, water still fairly clear and none of them looked like they were carrying eggs.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Must have been getting a little practice
It will smell like a fishing pier when it really happens

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my goldies started spawning over a week ago still at it but i'm not even looking for eggs..my koi are still in the basement pond ...tommorow maybe..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
apparently my koi had a spawn in the baement pond... went down to feed the guys and found 3 or 4 with their faces buried in the folds on the one corner i cant get to... took a peice of pvc and pulled back one fold to find some eggs stuck to the liner. dont know how long this was going on..been to busy to pay much attention.

Ask a Question