My Koi ate from my hand today!

Reaction score
I've been trying for a few days and they would come close but turn away, once one started a bunch went for it, a few were sucking on my fingers:smile:
I was using some kind of orange treat I found in the local pet shop.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the first time is always a thrill... my daughter is 17 and wont hand feed them, shes scared!! all the "familys" kids love to feed them except her

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
That would be fun. My shubunkins aren't shy, but they won't feed from my hands. Now when I have my hands in the water messing with the plants, the two or three larger shubunkins will come up and bump me, and kind of hover around close. I'm glad they aren't spooked by my presents.

Happy ponding,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
do you stand at ponds edge while they eat? if you do put your hand in the water nice and still nearby . move it alittle closer as they allow..soon you hand in the water full of food and slowly release it ..they start associating you and your hand with food...it will happen..even my fry will feed off my hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get something they like to eat I used Manda Fu Sit quietly next to the pond. Drop a piece into the pond in front of you.Do that a couple of days. Then put you hand in the water with food in it. Release a little at a time to get them to come close after a few days of that just open your hand and see if they eat from your hand. You may feed them like that several times a day till they get to know you.

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind - if your fish come to you to feed from your hands, they're likely to come to other "hands" too - like raccoon hands :sad:

I'd love to hand feed my fish, but avoid it to keep them safer from predators. I figure a bit of wariness is an advantage.

Ask a Question