My Koi died this morning with huge lession on his body. Help ID

bao

Reaction score
Found my fish dead this morning with a pretty big lession on his body. He was about 5 inches and was a Doitsu. He was pretty weak when i got him about 3 weeks ago. Haven't seen him much until today when he showed up dead.

Please help me id what did this to my fish and should i be concerned for the other kois in my pond. ALL the other kois are healthy and water parameters are good.

Thanks,

Bao

Attachments

• IMG_20130629_083955_113.jpg
    IMG_20130629_083955_113.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 392
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Is your pond over crowded have you poor water perameters fluctuating temperatures?
What I'm seeing is an ulcer caused by the areomonas bacterium you'll need to take two swabs and send these of to the vet to assertain if your problem is gram negative or gram Positive why ??? ....because if you get the wrong treatment you could loose more fish like this.
Once you have the correct diagnoses then can buy which ever and set about healing your fish .
All the reasons for this are written above .
May I make a suggestion to you go onto Amazon and buy the Interpet Manual of koi Health by Kieth Holmes and TonyPitham ISBN 1872860992.
They dont cost much on there I recomend this book to you so that you can learn as tou go along I still refare to it from time to time It'll give you a greater understanding of our hobby and how to go about keeping koi in general.
There are others you can buy but you need an understanding on a more advanced level ...
Did you know if well looked after a koi can live in present day thinking up to 80 years
Goldfish can up to 40 years again if well nainteaned, we have two koi aged 27

rgrds

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bao- you said he was weak when you got him. Where did you get him from? He may have been ill then. 3 weeks? Did you quarantine?

bao

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Is your pond over crowded have you poor water perameters fluctuating temperatures?
What I'm seeing is an ulcer caused by the areomonas bacterium you'll need to take two swabs and send these of to the vet to assertain if your problem is gram negative or gram Positive why ??? ....because if you get the wrong treatment you could loose more fish like this.
Once you have the correct diagnoses then can buy which ever and set about healing your fish .
All the reasons for this are written above .
May I make a suggestion to you go onto Amazon and buy the Interpet Manual of koi Health by Kieth Holmes and TonyPitham ISBN 1872860992.
They dont cost much on there I recomend this book to you so that you can learn as tou go along I still refare to it from time to time It'll give you a greater understanding of our hobby and how to go about keeping koi in general.
There are others you can buy but you need an understanding on a more advanced level ...
Did you know if well looked after a koi can live in present day thinking up to 80 years
Goldfish can up to 40 years again if well nainteaned, we have two koi aged 27

rgrds

Dave
Thank you very much for the response Dave. Unfortunately i threw the fish away without getting a chance to do the swab.

Yes my pond is a little over crowded, but the water parameters are good. Nitrite/Nitrates undetectable. PH 8, KH 120, The shipment that he came from had another fish die on me upon arrival. I think he was too stressed out and his immune system was weak, therefore the bacterium was able to grow.

All my other fishes are healthy and eating normal and swimming normal.

I will probably only buy fish from 1 supplier from now on. I know i should have quarantined the new guy, but i haven't quite had the time to set one up.

bao

Reaction score
mrsclem said:
Bao- you said he was weak when you got him. Where did you get him from? He may have been ill then. 3 weeks? Did you quarantine?
No i didn't quarantine, i know we should all quarantine new fish, but i don't have a quarantine tank setup yet.

Got the koi from Nextdaykoi on ebay. Probably won't order from them anymore. WIll only stick with kodamakoifarm.com. They are awesome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If your pond is over crowded I suggest thinning down your collectiion somewhat areomonas love the conditions a crowded pond can produce though your fish look fine their stress levels will be up, get a few days of fluctuation water temperature or you missing a clean with your filter and bingo you have a outbreak .
So as you can see even ponds with fish that have been QT'ed can crash like this at any time and this bacterium is a patient one that waits for the right enviroment before causing havok amongst the fish in the pond.
Learn to read your fish on white fish such as the comet or the Tancho when stressed they tend to go pink and are a usefull tool when you know the signes which are suttle ones,
Fins clamped, gulping at the surface, hanging under waterfalls are alll telling you the same story so please look out for them.
I truley hope this was a one off for you..

rgrds

Dave

bao

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, i think i'm going to have to thin out my collection :(

Just today i noticed on one of my koi, a khohaku, there looks to be an ulcer on it's tail. Could be bacteria or parasite. here's a pic, how should i treat this? This is the only koi with an ulcer on it's tail. I looked over the other kois and they seem to be fine.

Thank you so much for your guys help!!

Attachments

• IMG_20130704_163703_995.jpg
    IMG_20130704_163703_995.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen this many times in our years keeping koi , what you are looking at is a divet where the koi has been somehow spooked and has shot across the pond hitting an obsticle causing this wound .
On a happy note this should eventually disapear given time if you look at the other side of the tail you should see the wound goes inwards (concave)and the side your showing us is the (convex) result of this.accident
Keep an eye on it but they dont usually become infected.
They are more unsightly than anything else but I promise you it will disapear.

rgrds

Dace

Ask a Question