My Koi have Ich..

Reaction score
I have 5,200 Gallon pond in my backyard.I bought 30 Koi and over half of them have died from Ich..
I just want to know what the cheapest and fastest way to cure the pond and the Koi I have left of Ich.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know they say adding salt to the water helps.

from the net

I have successfully treated ich with 2-3 pounds of salt per 100 gallons. Not sure this would be the thing to do for very long now that water temps are cooling in many parts of the country but here in Florida it works fine. Salt dosage is spread over three days. In cooler climes salt may work to a disadvantage by lowering the freezing point of water which can harm koi.

If no salt is in the pond, then malachite green/formalin will also do a good job. Read label on medication container, for example, for ProForm-C it says not to use below water temp of 50dF. You can make up your own malachite green/formalin. See the AKCA Guide to Koi Health (see page 10).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomecrowd.gif
kenziierae

Salt is supposed to work on ick. Never had the problem so can't help ya there.
Hey what part of Washington are ya in cuz I'm in there too :lol:

4th6.gif

Reaction score
if i have goldfish and 1 koi in a 200 gallon pond and the koi has ich do i still go with 4 -6 pounds of salt to cure , i have added some stuff that turns the water blue called ick cure already , and i added a couple cups of aquarium salt also .. should i keep adding salt ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to my web site, I have a link to the Univ of Florida. They have everything yiou need to know published there.

Reaction score
is api aquarium salt what you are referring to ? or regular salt , sea salt , i know not to use table salt , i never knew there were so many types of salt , i know i am ignorant , but still trying , btw my smaller pond is crystal clear and doing great , i got the bigger pond to give the fish room , so as of now i am gaining experience and almost feel big headed about it , but this darn Koi has me mistified , none of the other fish have developed any spots in the same pond with the Koi i know its contagious but i am hoping i can stop the spread

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
With everyones high temps, I'm really surprised to hear posts about Ich. Ich doesn't reproduce past 82 degree F. Oh and just so your aware, Ich is on probably 95% of all our fish, It's the outbreak that we are trying to control. That parasite is in almost every pond. Methylene blue is very effective, but will kill and harm some plants, salt is effective but you need to know the percentage of salt in order to do any good, to much and you can kill fish and plants, to little and the fish will just produce more slime coat and not kill the parasite so they could return. Read up on the Link Dr. Dave posted. It's not a hard parasite to treat and very common. BTW, it is induced from stress, so to really control it you also need to figure out what is causing the outbreak.

Reaction score
so a recently added Koi to a new pond will cause an appearance of ick on that particular fish ....? fishin' i asked drdave i shall ask you the same question a 200 gallon pond with 5 goldfish 1 koi 1 pleco and plants how much salt and how frequently , and in which fashion should i add the salt , via waterfall, directly into the body of water or with a water change ?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Total salt for 200 gallons, 2 cups, That's if you have exactly 200 gallons of water, If you have added salt earlier then you need to subtract that amount. Salt only leaves the pond by water change, topping off doesn't change the dose. measuring is best done with a salt meter. You can get one for about $23 on ebay that works. As for where to put, I like putting it somewere in a stream so it can dissolve as it enters the pond but if you have to go direct try and place where the water is moving so it mixes at it dissolves.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry it took so long, I have been putting together some small water gardens today. 4 to be exact. Each being its own little eco-system. So I have been on and off. Lots of post to go through in a day.

Reaction score
thanks fishin' 2 cups added 1 a day for past 2 days into the water fall , i will extract 20 gallons or so tomorrow and maybe add a teaspoon or two more but only a teaspoon to a gallon , i add it to the waterfall i watch it dissolve as it enters the pond , i read somewhere in these threads to add pounds to every 10 gallons of it i am sure this is wrong which is why i asked .. iwill go back and re read , i think its at the beginning of this thread , unless a cup weighs a pound

Reaction score
3 Weeks Ago
I know they say adding salt to the water helps.

from the net

I have successfully treated ich with 2-3 pounds of salt per 100 gallons. Not sure this would be the thing to do for very long now that water temps are cooling in many parts of the country but here in Florida it works fine. Salt dosage is spread over three days. In cooler climes salt may work to a disadvantage by lowering the freezing point of water which can harm koi.

If no salt is in the pond, then malachite green/formalin will also do a good job. Read label on medication container, for example, for ProForm-C it says not to use below water temp of 50dF. You can make up your own malachite green/formalin. See the AKCA Guide to Koi Health (see page 10).

Reaction score
that was a post from Addy1 that she got from the net , i am very uncomfortable adding 4-6 pounds of salt to my pond , so i am going with your advice on the two cups

Ask a Question