My Koi have Ich..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Do you have water lily's? Most don't do well with that high of a salt level and other plants may start showing yellowing and dying back if the level is much more than that, The fish can handle almost double that dose.

Reaction score
water lilly is about the only plant that seems to be doing fine ohhh and the ferns , the wysterias and the anacharis have a little black on them but it maybe from the heat as it has been 100+ for last 7 days and the were sticking a little out of the surface
But water lilly is doing great or seems to be mondo grass too

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's why a test meter is needed. You get so many different dosages over all the information that is available these days. having the meter you can actually maintain the low dosage of salt on a regular basis.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What a lot of people do not realize is salt can be precipritated from rocks and other "additives" to a pond and unlike water, never evaporates. So it is not unreasonable to have a residual level. Test kits are necessary...

Reaction score
you guys have been extremely helpful and i will do as you both suggest .. rest easy , no more questions from me on this subject until test kit is in hand ... thanks to you both

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Malachite Green/Formalin.. or Proform-C work really well. After your dosage or two of the stuff, it will clear the pond of Ich. (Follow directions carefully)
Just be aware afterwards of what you put into your pond.. (new fish, plants etc..) That's how I got it awhile back.. from a fish I didn't quaranteen.
Live and learn. I had to treat the whole pond.. but the ich disappeared after 1 treatment... and in 3 days, they were gone from my fish. Never had it since.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use caution, always test before and during the salt addition to the pond. You can always add more if it is lower than expected.

Ask a Question