addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many fish do you have in your pond? Ammonia gets out of control when you have too many fish for the amount of water or the filters are not functioning well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How many fish would be my next question, too. A 1400 gallon pond will be quickly overwhelmed by koi as they grown. Your pond is a good size for goldfish. Or a couple of koi. Any more than that and it will be difficult to maintain. Even "plenty of aeration" depends on how big the pond is, how many fish, how much surface area, etc. There are lots of variables that can come into play.

Frequently what will happen is all seems to be just fine with a pond and then one small thing tips the balance - in this case, if the net was the only change you would suspect that, or something to do with the net, first. And like I said - when the big fish die first and the smaller ones are fine it's almost guaranteed that the oxygen level got too low. Maybe an overload of organic waste, perhaps from the leaves being in contact with the water. If a pond is balancing right on the tip of disaster, that could be enough to push it over the brink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ahhh... I see that now. @Rayma - you describe your pond as "very large". Can you confirm the volume?
My pond is about 1400 gallons. The net had only been on for a week. We were waiting for our new net with the PVC. I just wanted to keep the leaves out. Our wing has been bad. The net was lying atop the water but not all over. There were several areas that were clear of the net. I checked my ammonia level and it is 0. I am baffled.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, I saw that... but sometimes people realize they are way off in their estimations. Length-width-depth are better guesstimators than "about", especially with a descriptor like "very large".

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just lost 7 large (about 18 inches) koi fish this winter :cry::cry: They have been fine for the last few winters..........perhaps they were too big for my pond this year and this winter was extremely cold . I was stupid not to set up the de-icers or some other problems caused their death.
Thanks for all your guys posts and I need to find out what went to wrong before buying new koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Norfolkpond Hi, and welcome to our forum! I am so very sorry to hear about your koi!

You have piggy-backed your posts onto 2 similarly themed threads, both of which are older. There’s nothing wrong with doing this, but what is likely to happen is that the posts you make will not be seen by the people on here who are most likely to be able to help you.

You might want to consider starting your own thread, and tell us what’s going on with your pond. If you will do this, we can ask you questions that are specific to your pond and your unique set of circumstances. All ponds are different.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Norfolkpond Hi, and welcome to our forum! I am so very sorry to hear about your koi!

You have piggy-backed your posts onto 2 similarly themed threads, both of which are older. There’s nothing wrong with doing this, but what is likely to happen is that the posts you make will not be seen by the people on here who are most likely to be able to help you.

You might want to consider starting your own thread, and tell us what’s going on with your pond. If you will do this, we can ask you questions that are specific to your pond and your unique set of circumstances. All ponds are different.
I see, thank you! I will start a new thread !

Ask a Question