My lily will not flower!

Reaction score
Country
India
I have a nymphaea cultivar species I bought almost 5 months ago. It has grown really well from then with its leaves growing to almost 5 times the size they were when I bought the plant. The foliage has increased as well and the plant gets enough of sunlight throughout the day.
The only problem is that it hasn't given a single flower as yet, only leaves! I stay in India, so there are no temperature issues. Please advice.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine took a full year. I didn't get any blooms last year. Sometimes it takes awhile.
Don't worry they will come. When you planted it, did you add any fertilizer like Osmocote? It helps.

Reaction score
Country
India
Mine took a full year. I didn't get any blooms last year. Sometimes it takes awhile.
Don't worry they will come. When you planted it, did you add any fertilizer like Osmocote? It helps.
No just added some dry Comost the nursery supplied. I was just wondering what went wrong cus I've seen images of plants with little foliage and still flowering.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As long as they are healthy, I wouldn't worry. Like I said, mine took a full year before they bloomed. And all the new ones I added this year are throwing up pads like crazy but no blooms.

Reaction score
Country
India
I've posted the before and after pics for your reference

Attachments

• _20150824_202755.JPG
    _20150824_202755.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Country
India
As long as they are healthy, I wouldn't worry. Like I said, mine took a full year before they bloomed. And all the new ones I added this year are throwing up pads like crazy but no blooms.
Yea exactly... So many pads and no flowers...!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with tbendle about being patient and giving them time. I hardly ever get blooms the first year, or maybe 1. Be sure that your planting container isn't too large. If it's too large, the plant will put more effort into making more roots (trying to fill the empty space) and putting out pads rather than focusing on flowers.

How deep do you have it? That might make a difference, though people on here have theirs at all different depths.

Oh, and welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Country
India
I agree with tbendle about being patient and giving them time. I hardly ever get blooms the first year, or maybe 1. Be sure that your planting container isn't too large. If it's too large, the plant will put more effort into making more roots (trying to fill the empty space) and putting out pads rather than focusing on flowers.

How deep do you have it? That might make a difference, though people on here have theirs at all different depths.

Oh, and welcome to our group!
Hey thanks for the welcome! Oh its 50 cm high and 50 cm in diameter.

Reaction score
Country
India
I see from a previous post, it's in a container. I was thinking it was in a pond! What kind of soil is it planted in?
I just added some river soil to the already present soil which the plant was planted initially in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. By the looks of the lily and the container it is in too small of a pot. I have one in a small pond, it barely blooms. The ones with more room bloom a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Shel I cant help you there I would just like to say Hello from a very damp and dismal Plymouth UK where in India are you from my friend (y)

Dave

Ask a Question