My long overdue pond build

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello all,

I am taking @Lisak1's advice and starting a new thread about my pond build.

6 Years ago I wanted to make a water feature while doing the garden and ended making a concrete form for a pond. Soon after, our family grew by 2 and focus changed. This is the year I want to finish it and if there is a great error in my design, hopefully someone will notice it before it's to late. I am open to suggestions and comments.

The actual pond holds about 6,2 cubic meters of water, the depth is around 0.7m, with a slight drop towards the bottom drain. The bottom drain is connected via a 110mm pipe to a settling area with a volume of about 0.7 cubic meters. One or two underwater pumps will be housed here, and they will service 2 water falls, and 2 bog gardens.
The bog gardens will be built above ground and hopefully they will be able to filter the water.
I would like to have 2 koi fishes in the pond, or at least some gold fishes.

This is the way I designed it to look:
pond model.png

At this moment I pressure washed the concrete to see it's condition. My initial idea was to use a concrete based waterproofing suitable for drinking water tanks, but it only comes in gray and white and from what I read black is preferable.

I am thinking of using a pond EPDM liner now, all internal corners made using the fold technique, and the 3 outer corners using seams and form flashings. I will need to glue the liner to the concrete to make it stay in place. To address the shrinking problem I will be installing some stainless steel corner brackets covered by some form flashing tape.
The pond has a cave like area under the deck, concrete ceiling also, it's going to be very difficult to fold the liner, but hopefully it will work.

After making it watertight, I will build the bog gardens partially above the settling area, partially above pond area.
The bogs will be around 10% of the pond volume. Reading @combatwombat's post in another topic, he opened my eyes to the problem of flow rate in the bog. My original idea, the pumps would push water in the bogs and water will overflow as 2 waterfalls. That sounds like a bad idea now, because the water will linger in the bog way to little.
So the waterfalls should be separated from the bog.
I could not find ready made container for bogs so I am thinking of making them out of OSB lined also with EPDM.
The waterfall height will be 0.7m, and 35-40cm wide.

This is it for now. I hope to structure my thoughts better with this thread and in the future, others can use it for info. :)

Attachments

• pond section.png
    pond section.png
    78 KB · Views: 38
  • pond1.png
    pond1.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Great start - I love the look!

I have zero build advice, as this is far beyond my "dig a hole, drop in a liner" experience, but others will certainly pop in and add to the discussion!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look great! If you get koi try to get the same sex. The pond (per koi keepers) would keep 2 koi. You would not want them spawning.
Or get poor mans koi, shubunkins, great colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey @alexelite: The flow rate to the bog is not much of a problem to overcome. All you need to do is install a tee fitting before your pipe enters the bog and then put a ball valve on each line after the tee. One line will feed your bog, and the rest can be run to the top of the bog and dumped out on top. The ball valves will allow you to dial in the flow to each location to whatever seems to work best for your bog.

The end result is 100% of the water going to your waterfall from the bog, but only the amount you want flowing through the bog.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello again,

First stage of my pond is done. I settled on Firestone EPDM liner and installed it. For now I ditched the stainless steel corner brackets and only installed some fixing under the tiles.
For the settling chamber I used cementitious waterproofing.

I am now in searching for a low voltage pump and tanks for bog gardens.
Only found Osaga 12V in stock so far.

20210717_194408.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks lovely. How much of a cantilever do you have on those pavers? It looks awesome, but what's keeping them from flipping into the water if you step on an edge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@combatwombat, around 3 cm (1 inch) cantilever. They are "glued" to the concrete structure using exterior grade thinset.

Got it. It looks bigger than that. Great job creating such a nice detail.

Are you in The UK? I've always wondered something: What's the deal with the scalloped/routed deck boards? I see them all the time on decks in Europe / UK. Is that a composite deck product? Seems it would capture water and promote rotting if it's a wood product.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
@combatwombat, I'm from Romania.
It is a pretty cheap Douglas fir wood deck. You are right, almost all decking around EU has longitudinal grooves with different patterns on each face. One has a few deep grooves and the other has more shallow grooves.
It gives a very nice fealing when walking barefoot and no chance of slipping when wet.
It should be mounted with a slope longitudinally, to allow water to drain easily, but because I aimed for a perfect level pond edge, the deck is also level.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
After filling the pond with water from the well I could not wait and ordered 2 waterfall spillway and a big pump.
I found Jebao 24V 15000L/h, the same as ozponds uses and until now it works ok.

First problem encountered, after 1 day of running the waterfalls, the pond got white, everything covered in a white powder, including 2 waterlilies. Found the wrong culprit, cleaned it all up and after 1 day ... all white again. After investigations I concluded the water from the well is very hard and some calcium precipitates when water is aerated. Did a test in a bottle with and air pump and got white sediments after a few hours.
I ordered a Sera test kit and got a hardness value of 38 degree. :mad:
So my well water is not usable and I will be refilling it with chlorinated tap water as the only other source.

I am in the process of building the bogs out of two IBC tanks.
After a lot of reading and considering the existing limitations, I ended up with this functional diagram:
pond2.PNG
The pump will pull water from the top of the settling chamber using a diy self leveling floating strainer, and also from a skimmer.
It will pump water in the bog for filtering, directly in the waterfalls and also 3-4 jets on the bottom of the pond.
I will adjust the flow ratio using some valves.
The bogs will discharge through a slotted pipe directly in the pond.

I do not now if the water ascending velocity will be slow enough to allow for sedimentation of large particles in the settling chamber, so the strainer will only filter small particles. I will try to balance the overall flow and the ratio between skimmer and strainer to make use of the settling chamber.

The waterfalls spillways I bought are a little to big, 45 cm each and placing them high on the bog enclosure looked good but way to much noise, and quite unpleasant. I hope that moving them much lower , and lowering the flow will improve the water sound.

If you have any suggestions, comments or questions I am all ears (eyes actually :oops:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we bought the hot tub, they sent a block of something that you put in the water to bring down the hardness. Our well is extremely soft and acidic. I had to buffer it up to harder and higher ph.

Not sure if it would work in a pond, they do sell things for aquariums to lower the hardness.

this: maybe you can find something similar

HotSpring Spa Vanishing Act Calcium Remover 76029​

Ask a Question