My Lotus is growing...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My lotus that I received as a tuber is growing nice. Last week I added 2 fertilizer tabs to the dirt. I now have a aerial leave so should I add 2 more fertilizer tabs for a total of 4 tabs? I'm using AgSafe Aquatic Tabs. 10-26-10

Also should I now add more water to the tub?

Thanks

Phil

20170528_180042[1].jpg
20170528_180015[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well crap.. I filled it up to about 2 inches from the top. None of the pads got covered up with water. I hope I didn't mess them up. I did add 2 more fertilizer tabs. Only time will tell. :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well crap.. I filled it up to about 2 inches from the top. None of the pads got covered up with water. I hope I didn't mess them up. I did add 2 more fertilizer tabs. Only time will tell. :confused:
Mine are all around 16 inches deep, they are growing great. Been at that depth since I planted them years ago.
Didn't know they like shallower water. I chose that depth to keep the tuber from freezing during our winters. Ow I would need to lower them every winter, hard to do when they are in a dedicated lotus tank.

IMG_1338.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't know that they liked shallow water either. Wonder if I should move the pot to the shallower end
Mine do fine in deeper water. All of mine are large lotus. You don't have the freezing issues I have, so it would probably do fine in shallower water.

from places that sell the tubers:

"Ideally they like 4 to 10" of water over the pot. I start out in the spring at a shallow depth of a couple of inches over the rim of the pan. This shallow depth will be warmer too. As new growth begins to sprout the pan can be gradually lowered to a deeper depth, but no deeper than 10 inches, if need be."

"Whatever type of container is used, it needs to be at least 6 inches deep and at least 12 inches wide.
Smaller varieties will grow in 1-to-6 inches of water. Medium and large varieties will grow in 4 inches to 3 feet of water depending on the variety. Never plant the tuber at the bottom of the container. Some people simply place the lotus tube on top of the soil and use a rock or brick to anchor the lotus tuber down. If the tuber is not properly anchored by the soil or weight, it will float."

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I read the older the plant is the deeper the water can be and yours is older addy .My 2 seeds are in shallow water and doing good for now .I have 4 more started and they just broke out of the shells .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I read the older the plant is the deeper the water can be and yours is older addy .My 2 seeds are in shallow water and doing good for now .I have 4 more started and they just broke out of the shells .
None of mine were seed started, they were all tubers I bought years ago. It does make a difference.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my problem is every time I get one started real good I give it away ,this time I promised myself I was keeping them .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well it seems that I was wrong. 4 inches is apparently the minimum water depth, but Lotus apparently do not like any great water depth.

"The soil in the container should have at least 2” to 4” of water over the top of it, so that the soil is always under water. Taller standard lotus can grow in water up to 18” deep or even deeper, but it takes more energy, and in spring and in cool climates lotus benefit from the extra warmth in shallow water. Dwarf lotus should be grown in water between 2” and 12” deep."
IWGS
http://iwgs.org/lotus-care-sheet/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe allowing them to come up later will protect them from the weird weather and frost .So at times water being cooler because lotus is deeper may be an asset .Like here one week of 80 and 90 degree temps. down to 40 and 50 during the day and 30's at night with frost .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to have mine deeper, the water has frozen down to almost 15 inches, during one of our rare cold winters. If the tuber freezes it will die.

Ask a Question