My Michigan pond is starting to open up from winter. I need to know when I should start feeding my fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Michigan pond is starting to open up from the winter. I need to know when I should start feeding my fish?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When they show signs of being hungry….at least how I do it. Throw abit of food in if the eat some can give them more, if they show no interest then it’s too early still.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Agree with @Jhn. I never fed before the water temperature rose above 50 -55 degrees, and I started them out with Cheerios moistened with orange juice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Generally speaking, you can start feeding when the *water* temperature is above 50 degrees, and most likely going to stay there. (Note - air temp & water temp are NOT in any way the same) Also, generally speaking, you will not go wrong *under* feeding, where you can definitely go wrong by *over* feeding, so err on the side of caution.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, you can’t go wrong under feeding when the water is cold…However, You can feed with water temp below 50, if the fish are showing signs of being hungry. I have no idea what my water temps are and never have paid attention to water temps as a indicator of when to feed. your best indicator of when to feed is your fish, regardless of water temps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I FEED WHEN i walk up to the pond and there's 30- little mouth popping at the surface.. today there swimming around but not up to my feet ... no food

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Michigan? Opening up? We're right across the big lake from you and it's 12 degrees today. Is there some kind of tropical Michigan spot that I've been missing all these years?

We won't start feeding fish until early to mid-May here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The sooner you feed and the more you feed the more they poop. I hardly give my goldfish any food anymore as they can get it easily themselves from all the bugs, side algae, worms etc. from nature. Mine lived for years w/o getting fed, then I thought it would be neat to have them come running to me, their master. Think there must be a lot of waste in the pellets etc. The less they eat of the store food the less I have to clean the filter :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yesterday my koi were swimming around very active nibbling at algae…. Today we have a ice storm and they are comatose….. I start feeding when I hear the spring peepers consistently and I know the water is going to stay above 55 and I start them out on Cheerios

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am with jw the more you feed the more they poop ad the more they foul up the water . Then your ph and everything else goes up . LET THEM CLEAN THEIR OWN HOUSE OR ROOM . Funny feeding less and feeding from your hands is the best joy ever . All my company loves when I put a little fod in their hands and show them how to put there CLEAN HANDS in the water and the fish come to suck the food out of their hands . My great grandchildren just love taking pictures to school for show and tell .Funny but I am not sure who enjoys it more the parents or the great grands . I think they come to visit the fish more than to visit great grandpop and me . But I don't care they come

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Michigan? Opening up? We're right across the big lake from you and it's 12 degrees today. Is there some kind of tropical Michigan spot that I've been missing all these years?

We won't start feeding fish until early to mid-May here.
I'm curious as well. I'm in Michigan, and it's dastardly cold here! Lots of snow still. How odd. Pond is totally frozen over still with snow on top.

Ask a Question