My Mystery Black Shubunkins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I started with five shubunkins last year in the lower pond. I now have a lot of new goldfish babies that are all full of color. Over the summer, I found 6 black gold fish in my upper pond that has a 9" water fall into the lower pond. These black goldfish could only get there by having eggs sucked into the skimmer, on through the pump and dumped into the upper pond that is full of hornwort and red ludwigia and several spider lilies. When I say full, it is solid plants.

At the beginning of the summer, I was thinning the plants in the upper pond and saw one black fish. Caught it and moved it to the pond. Over the summer, every time I thinned the plants I discovered more black goldfish. I caught the largest one from the lower pond a few weeks ago and it was now black on top and golden on the stomach. Today, i noticed that the biggest one looks green on top. I read that goldfish need sunlight to acquire colors. Since all of these black goldfish grewup under a solid cover of plants, I am assume that is why everyone of them was black and the other babies born in the pond are all very colorful.

I am looking forward to all these little guys changing colors at some point. The mystery continues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I so love this!! I also have an 'upper pond' area & have in the past discovered small fish up there (who also would have had to make the trip through the plumbing!) Caspar is one such fish & s/he is now the largest koi in our pond. The mystery is real - but it's also real good. :D

Ask a Question