My new goldfish pond build

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by CometKeith, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Great looking fish! And the white one sure shows up!

addy1, Aug 16, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

Look at all those pretty fish and their gaping pie holes............reminds me of feeding time for my piggies. Sometimes it looks like they are going to slide ride up and outta the pond to grab the food outta my hands :eek:
    Love your pretty new butterfly!

j.w, Aug 16, 2017
    CometKeith and addy1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks Tula, I agree but I'm trying to make it nice now if I can. We have tenants downstairs. They bought a table and chairs for the back porch and I have not seen them sit there even once. I would like to clean up the backyard and make it presentable before the summer is over. Well I worked pretty late tonight. I graded the dirt, put down some black mulch for the walkway as an accent to the brown mulch, and worked on my small retaining wall that holds the small rocks under our porch. I'll see how it looks in the morning! The Koi is doing well. I bought it using a gift card one of our daughters and her husband gave me for Father's Day. I still have enough left to buy one more fish....
    Thanks Addy. as you know I have been particular to goldfish but I have been really enjoying watching the Koi. It's so energetic and is always doing something interesting. I think I have around 2500 gallons. I don't think one or two small butterflys will affect the pond a lot..... but I do enjoy the low maintenance of goldfish. decisions... decisions...
    Thanks JW. It's funny that sometimes when I feed them he doesn't even show up because he is so busy eating algae from the bottom. Today when I fed them I thought some animal stole him and then he finally showed up. So far he has gotten along really well with the goldfish. If you subtract the fins and tail some of my goldfish are larger than he is so he is not a bully so far.

CometKeith, Aug 18, 2017
    addy1, Tula and j.w like this.
  4. CometKeith

The problem I see in the future......koi - gf mutts. Lots of them. Maybe butterfly ones don't spawn as much.

addy1, Aug 18, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  5. CometKeith

Lisak1

Our koi and goldfish have never crossed. In fact, our koi have never successfully bred - which is fine wth me. The goldfish do more than their share!

Lisak1, Aug 18, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  6. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh but thinking of how the long tails would look on the mutt's. Wonder if they ever turn out pretty w/the cross breeding?

j.w, Aug 18, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  7. CometKeith

Tula

My koi, cross bred with my comets and shubunkins ( I think they're considered gold fish - yes ?), resulting in lots of hybrids. They had beautiful long flowing tails, but were olive in color, very hard to see in the pond.

I understand the hybrids are sterile. @Lisak1 ,lucky you, your koi haven't spawned. I wish mine would knock it off! ha ha

Tula, Aug 18, 2017
  8. CometKeith

Lisak1

Oh, they've spawned. They're just terrible parents!

Lisak1, Aug 18, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  9. CometKeith

Tula

Ha ha ha.......I could hope!! Mine eat a ton of eggs, but 10-20 always survive each year, guess they hide out in the plants.

Tula, Aug 18, 2017
  10. CometKeith

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    I have enjoyed reading this thread @CometKeith . You have done an amazing job on the pond, landscaping, and from what I have seen the house too.

IPA, Aug 18, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  11. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks IPA and welcome! It looks like you are new here. By any way does IPA stand for India Pale Ale? If so we have a lot in common because I enjoy craft beer a lot. If you want to see more about my pond check out the thread below. It started in 2010 and has a lot of pictures of our recent construction project.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-goldfish-pond.6742/

CometKeith, Aug 19, 2017
  12. CometKeith

CometKeith

Hmmm. I hope I don't get a lot of cross breeds. I have met people in the Chicago area that have one or two Butterfly Koi and mostly goldfish and it works out well. Lisak, Is your Koi a lot larger than the goldfish? That's interesting you don't have baby Koi. I have noticed my Koi chasing the goldfish already, so he likes the ladies! Addy, i know you just have goldfish. The problem is my primary viewing area is our second floor porch. Also I see them from our third floor.The Koi is much easier to see than the goldfish when we are higher up. I'm thinking of getting one more. Maybe a nice yellow and black one.... Tula, Your pond sounds really nice. i'm sure the fish are happy if they keep having babies!
    Here is a picture I took this afternoon. We decided just to put in black mulch where the pavers were going to go to cut costs and wait on the project until next year. My wife is not happy with it so we set an appointment with a landscaper tomorrow to discuss putting pavers there instead.
    IMG_20170818_185526419.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith, Aug 19, 2017
    j.w, sissy and Tula like this.
  13. CometKeith

Tula

If you think your platinum is a male, try to get another male....might help with population control :)

Tula, Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  14. CometKeith

Lisak1

Yup - the koi are considerably larger than the goldfish. Never any koi babies. They do spawn - this year was a big year for pond romance. Every time we had a rainstorm (and we had LOTS of those this year) they were doing their thing. But the goldfish follow behind and eat all the eggs.

Here's a picture from earlier this summer - the koi on the bottom left is one of the largest. The big orange one to the right is one of our biggest comets. They all get along just fine. You can even see our one fat fantail just above the lily to the right. That one holds her own as well - she has disappeared half a dozen times and we always think she's dead and then BOOM she's back. No clue where she hides out, but she's a survivor!

IMG_2207.JPG

Lisak1, Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith, Tula, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  15. CometKeith

sissy sissy

I love what you have done so far the contrast of colors by the pond is amazing .You will enjoy it more each year .When do you plan moving in or have you gotten your C of O

sissy, Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  16. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

Really looking nicer and nicer every time you post a new picture @CometKeith
    Does this mean you have to change your forum name now that you have koi :smuggrin:

j.w, Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith, cas and sissy like this.
  17. CometKeith

sissy sissy

koicomkeith maybe ;):)

sissy, Aug 19, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  18. CometKeith

CometKeith

Lisak. Really nice pond and fish. Tula. I did get one more, but I'm done now with buying fish. Pictures to come.Thank's sissy. We are basically done with inspections except for one small correction and have moved in. Still getting the kinks out but we are enjoying the new home and our tenants are happy too. thank's JW. No I'll stay with cometkeith for now lol! It's a work in progress. I tried moving some heavy limestone to the waterfall area yesterday. They look so small in the picture, but I'm still feeling it now. I did build a lower ledge in the water when we dug the pond so I built up some rocks there too. It's still very much a work in progress, but here is a picture of what I did so far. btw. I took this at the height of the eclipse. It was cloudy here and not much to see so I went to check out the fish. They were really still. IMG_20170821_132405264.jpg

CometKeith, Aug 22, 2017
    sissy, IPA, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  19. CometKeith

Our primary viewing is from the house windows, 40 some feet away and around 40 or so feet in elevation. I can see our bigger shubunkins pretty decently. I would love to have some butterfly koi, they are so darn pretty. But my pond population is pretty stable the water stays great, the lilies are not bothered, not worth it to me to add a unknown.

addy1, Aug 22, 2017
    CometKeith, j.w and Tula like this.
  20. CometKeith

Tula

I love the location of the waterfall . I too think butterfly koi are beautiful, but have no room. I was watching my ginrin chagoi the other evening....she nearly comes out of the water to get food that floats onto the rocks and she's gorgeous !

Tula, Aug 22, 2017
    CometKeith, j.w and addy1 like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question