My new goldfish pond build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We went the bag route this year too! It's just easier, as we've aged :) We used to get it dumped in the driveway, then would wheel barrel it all over the place.....now we "drag and drop " !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used to get it dumped in the driveway, then would wheel barrel it all over the place.....now we "drag and drop " !

We bought bagged mulch this year for the first time in many years. As we get more and more of the yard planted, it gets harder and harder to get the wagon where I need it to dump. It's easier to carry a bag than it is a bucket!

I just learned of a program in our area (and maybe nationwide - I'm not sure) called Chip Drop. You sign up and then the next time an arborist or tree cutting firm is in your area and needs somewhere to dump, they bring them to you. Sounded great, so I signed up. It's not nice finished mulch like we usually buy, but I figured hey! It's free! I have lots of areas that always need mulch!

That was late one night... the next morning I get an email that explains the program. Well, they probably explained it when I signed up, but like I said IT WAS LATE! The fine details say that the drop could be anywhere from 4 yards to FIFTEEN YARDS! WOW! AWESOME!

But when I tell my husband the great news, he starts laughing. I mean REALLY LAUGHING. He said "you know 15 yards is THREE TIMES MORE than we've ever had delivered, right?" Uh... it is? I leave the numbers to him! THAT'S TOO MANY WOOD CHIPS! So I hopped back on the computer and cancelled my order... hopefully in time! I have this nagging fear that we will round the corner to our house one day and have a GIANT pile of wood chips in the driveway! (Actually, the house next door is vacant... I wonder if I should just sign up to have them drop a load next door...haha!) Honestly, if we had the room to just pile them up and leave them, I would do it. They'd be great to use now, but even better once they were aged and starting to break down.

So if any of you is adventurous and has a great spot to store a pile of wood chips the size of a mini van, check it out and see if it's available in your area! The kicker is (well, other than that 15 yard detail!) you don't know when - or even if - they will come. It's very much dependent on what's going on in your area. I'm guessing with all the storms we have had here in the Chicago area and surrounding communities that the tree people are going to be chipping like mad though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And thank heavens my neighbor is rare idiot - most men know hard work when they see it and appreciate it, no matter who's doing it! This guy - ugh. He won't let his wife put the car in the garage - told me she's not smart enough to know when to stop. I suggested he stand in front of the car while she parks it - give her a good target. :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is an example from Chip Drop https://www.facebook.com/chipdropin/ on how much you could have ended up w/in your driveway @Lisak1 :LOL:

Chip Drop.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisak. Our daughter is a process engineer with one of the largest manufacturer companies in the world. They flew her to Warsaw Poland first class for a few days just so she could see something good they were doing in one of their plants. When she started someone suggested maybe because she is petite and only 23 that when she talked to guys on the manufacturing floor to act a little dumb so they would be nicer to her. That's not her personality at all so naturally she didn't do that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay. Went the bag route today and I'm pretty sore. I bought 50 each 40 lbs bags in two trips one of 20 bags and the last one of 30 bags. So that's 2000 lbs! Here is the end result. There is an old patio where I didn't put dirt down where the Masonite sheeting is.. I'm thinking maybe of leaving that area and just putting down some flat stones for a patio. Around the front of the pond is going to be mulch and perennials/annuals. The question is do I put grass down where the dirt is or mulch? Suggestions please! I'm leaning towards grass because that will be easier. We will still have lots of planting areas. I still need to do retaining walls for the stone under the porch but slowly it's getting in shape.
IMG_20170722_190300725.jpg
IMG_20170722_190243436.jpg
IMG_20170722_190337401.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you should do whichever is easier! But, is grass easier in the long run when you have to mow it? How about choosing a ground cover instead - something that will be green all summer but won't require you to haul the mower out on a regular basis? You can still walk on it, and it will be a nice transition between the patio and pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually we have grass in the front so it shouldn't be a problem to cut this grass too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the green color of grass against the pond .Plus mulch has to be renewed every year and heavy rains can wash it into the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like some grass, it softens the look of the stone work around our ponds. I don't have a lot of grass, mainly because of our newfoundlands.....they are hard on it :(

I also love defined garden beds...we just finished building a small retaining wall in a soft shape, near the pond and are in process of considering plantings.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I vote grass and easy as when you walk on mulch it tends to travel w/you on your shoes and weeds will eventually pop up too. In grass the weeds can hide nicely and are the same color as the grass :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy. With all the black steel of the porch I think the grass will be a nice contrast. I agree about mulch. With our last place I was always putting new mulch down every year. Who knows here it goes? Some mulch yes but not everywhere. Thanks Tula. We will still have planting areas so there will be plenty of mulch even if we do grass in the main area. What are you thinking of planting for your garden bed? I agree JW. i don't feel like picking out weeds constantly and you get them even if you do the landscape liner because the weeds will grow right in the mulch. My wife voted for grass when she heard how easy it will be so grass wins! This is a picture of the front. We sodded it about 10 days ago.
IMG_20170723_145720369.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The front of your new home is beautiful :)

Our yard slopes, so hubby built a nice retaining wall around the bed. The back, furthest from the house, we planted a lime light hydrangea. I have 7 knock out roses, that were in part of the bed, but not doing well..... perhaps they were crowded out by massive hostas, we since relocated.

I've been researching other plants, that would add some winter interest, but not provide a launching pad for squirrels to the bird feeder. I may end up transplanting the knock out roses. both red and yellow...and see what happens next year. On the other side of the bed, I'm going to do perennials....I already bought some purple coneflower and a couple colors of coreopsis.

I also have scads of elephant ears..which are supposedly annuals in our zone, but come back and multiply each year. I like them, they add a tropical element to the garden :)

Ask a Question