My new house has a pond, need help..

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a noob here and to ponds as well.

I bought a house last Feb that has a pond in the back yard. The property is in the woods, so the pond is surrounded by trees about 20 feet away. I had a pond guy come take a look and give me a report on it. It's in basically good shape, but needs some help. He said it was about 3/4 of an acre, with about 550,000 gals. It has 'no' aeriation and is 13 feet deep at one end. It is tear drop shaped and shallow at the other end. the water is kind of murky, but it has lot's of frogs, perch, and weeds.

I would like to get some trout and other fish in there for fishing. The pond guy recommeneded an aeriation system. He said I could put it in my garage and bury the hose in the ground for the 50 yards to the pond and into the bottom for about $1500. So, I was wondering if that was a good deal, or should I try and do this myself? Or should I get an electrician to run power out near the pond and put it there. I have no clue how expensive that would be. Or what kind of system to buy. Any help or comments would be appriciated.

Attached is a pic of my pond.

Thanks,
Snacko

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 407

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out airmax systems .I am looking at a smaller system for my small pond and even for the big ones they have pretty good prices

Attachments

• lily storm 7.28 017.JPG
    lily storm 7.28 017.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 268

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They come as kits and even the next one up from the 500 dollar system may be good for you and is 700 dollars and you can go on you tube they have videos set up to see them working and also show you how to replace bladders

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
Snacko
What a nice looking pond! I would rather have my power nearer my pond but it's up to you. You might want more than one plug in and who knows you might want to plug something else in down the line. Just make sure to use a GFI. My DH did mine for my power near the pond. He just ran power from a post we have for our RV hookup underground to near the pond and all I have to do is plug my aeration pump into it. Either way for you sounds like a long way from the house power to the pond. Depends whether you want to bury the power cord from the pump or the electricity form the house. I'm sure it will be cheaper if you do it yourself if your handy.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree with your pond man. a good areation would do wonders for the pond. There are two options, run the power closer to the pond, or run airline to the pond. there could be a great expense difference between the two depending on the supplies used. Also check on warranty and the amount of electricity the areation uses. These are important things of interest that you want to know. A good warranty could save you a lot if there is a failure and in most cases the pond guy will probably offer the best warranties in the industry. Don't let the guy sell you a high out put huge pump. It's not really needed. Good areation is what is needed and that can be done several ways, air, pumping , water features that lead into the pond. be sure and check with your local wildlife and fisheries dept. they may also have additional information for your general locality. Sometimes they will even assist in helping to stock small ponds.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I can't help with your question, but want to say that you have great potential with your pond! I envy you for all the wildlife you'll have :) ENJOY!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

I think it would be nice to have electricity down by the pond so I could have a light on the small dock, power a water pump for a garden, and the aeriator. So, I guess I'll have to get an electrician out here to get an estimate. But I think it is going to be expensive since we need to go under the stream (over it would not look good), or down the left side of my lawn to go over a culvert. That last option would double the distance. But I'll never know if I don't get an estimate.

I would like to get this pond balanced so I don't have to use chemicals to kill weeds and stuff like that. It would be nice if we could eat the fish if we wanted, without worring. My Nephew's wife likes organic stuff for their kids, so.. I killed weeds last spring with a chemical the pond guy sold me, but I see a ton growing back under the water on about 13 of the pond.

How can I naturally combat the weeds in the bottom? Koi and other fish? Does the aeriation help with weeds?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My son is a licensed electrician and they would use a ditch witch to pull the pipe to run the wire but the creek bed would be a question there and he told me around 1000 to 2000 dollars and that would depend on what your service is in the house and where it is as the basement block would have to be drilled .I know mine is 200 amp service and it would also depend on if you have any extra openings in your breaker box and how much power you want to pull to the pond and he always says whole house surge protector .

Reaction score
Thanks, that's good info. My breaker box is on the wrong side of the house, and I don't know the amps. It sounds like just running the air hose out is probably the way to go. I have enough expenses with this house. The people who had lived here were over 80 and left stuff go over the last few years. I'm taking things one at a time.. Thx!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well i know airmax says you can go out 100 ft .I know what you mean I bought 2 fixer uppers in the past and it takes time and money .This was my first new home and since I was retiring i wanted less work ,well thats a joke new or old there is always something .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for all the replies!

I think it would be nice to have electricity down by the pond so I could have a light on the small dock, power a water pump for a garden, and the aerator. So, I guess I'll have to get an electrician out here to get an estimate. But I think it is going to be expensive since we need to go under the stream (over it would not look good), or down the left side of my lawn to go over a culvert. That last option would double the distance. But I'll never know if I don't get an estimate.

I would like to get this pond balanced so I don't have to use chemicals to kill weeds and stuff like that. It would be nice if we could eat the fish if we wanted, without worrying. My Nephew's wife likes organic stuff for their kids, so.. I killed weeds last spring with a chemical the pond guy sold me, but I see a ton growing back under the water on about 13 of the pond.

How can I naturally combat the weeds in the bottom? Koi and other fish? Does the aeration help with weeds?
Aeration won't help slow plant growth down. If anything it will make it grow faster. Plants help keep nitrates under control so you end up with clearer water and more hiding places for the fish. Not natural but I use a regular garden rake and walk around the areas i don't won't the plants and pull them out and allow them to dry for a week or two on the bank then gather them up once they have lightened up and carry to the compost pile. Personally I like about 50% of the bank covered and 50% cleared. this gives additional hiding places for babies, area for bigger fish to hunt. and limits the area that fish are easily caught. But at the same time gives easy access for small children and less snakey. Koi aren't a good idea in a natural pond. they are diggers and the pond will almost always appear muddy. grass carp are a better choice but for your size pond one or two is all you need. BE SURE AND CHECK WITH DWLF! They are illegal to place ion some states. If you decide to use any spray don't spray all the plants at one time. To much dying off in the water can cause depletion of oxygen, and unbalance the pond to drastically all of a sudden.

Reaction score
If I get two grass carp, I assume they should be the same sex so they don't breed? They can check that cant' they?

I have yet to climb into my pond, but I have seen videos of people doing that with rakes. So, I'll have to give it a try. I'm sure once I do it, it is probably easier than I thought to rake some of those weeds up. And with these new weeds growing back, I did notice that the water was definitely clearer.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The grass carp will come sterile female. That is the only way the DWLF will ok them if they do. Warning, they will eat ALL vegetation. I don't have them, I have bream, bass, few catfish, and two types of minnows I know of. I possibly could have white perch as I heard they used to be in there but I haven't seen one caught since I bought the place. So far this year my water has stayed crystal clear. I allow the weeds to grow out from the bank in the water about 1/2-2/3 of the whole bank, the rest I keep clear all the way to the edge. I am also looking at aeration for my pond. The algae got somewhat bad this year and I've been told I could gain 3-5" of depth with more oxygen as muck is eaten away. Don't know how true that is but I'm researching. I also started feeding the bream, two or three times a week. Now when I walk down to the pond a whole herd comes running. most are small but they put on quite a show at feeding time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If they eat all vegetation how would you ever keep the pond clean then .They would have to produce a lot of waste matter so how would you handle that without a filter .I have never really heard of any of those kinds of fish and don't think i have ever seen them either .You have baby ones fishin or are they adults and how big are the and how big do they get .

Ask a Question