My new little baby overground pond

Reaction score
Here's my first ever pond project. A little educational pond for my son (very soon to be sons when baby 2 arrives!).

Some more info on my pond here:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-first-pond-questions.15468/

Pond synopsis; I wanted to fill a gap between 2 new veg patches I built in our small garden. There was just enough room for a small pond so I purchased a perfectly sized pre-moulded design that I set into concrete. I plan to have a small amount of wildlife I place in there myself (daphnia, pond weed, snails and freshwater sticklebacks), then allow it to develop itself from there. I will regularly check water quality and only intervene if there are water quality issues. My son, who has just turned 3, loves wildlife and I think this will be a perfect little pond for him to understand better how to care for creatures and their lifecycles. He's already learning how to grow veg (well, as much as a 3 year old can!) which I hope helps him to understand where his food comes from. Adding the pond I think helps him appreciate wildlife as well, which I hope will given him a better sense of the world beyond the city and supermarket. So this is my progress so far:

I started with a small pre-moulded pond, turned it upside down and build a wooden box around the bottom (well, top) part of it:
IMG_2752.JPG

Then I filled it with concrete:
IMG_2756.JPG

After the first concrete slab dried, I completed building the box around it and filled the rest with concrete and put it in the final position between my 2 veg patches. Once the construction was completed I estimate it probably weighs between 70 and 75Kg before being filled:
IMG_2785.JPG

Then my son helped me fill it up:
IMG_2793.JPG

It was then left to de-chlorinate and after a little time it now has weed, some daphnia and snails and is doing well. The tube is a small solar powered air pump that should help to keep it aerated:
IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

Next up for the pond, a small amount of sticklebacks as they stay very small plus I need to complete tacking on the black cloth around the edge (to make it look nice and blend in better between the veg patches.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw one incased in cement ,at least you will know it will stay level .Growing and eating veggies how better can you learn .congrats on the soon to be new one also

Reaction score
Oh, the only thing I forgot to mention was the small wildlife ramp at the back made out of a pile of stones and a wooden 'paddle'. There's also a wooden walkway along the side as well. This is to help anything climb in and out as they wish as nothing could reach it otherwise.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a good idea because of your son as it makes it stable for him to lean on .Great idea for people with small children .The big pond the parents build for them selves and the small pond for the child ,this way it is all there's and when parents go to work on there pond the children can work on there's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Where in the UK are you from Danno , we come frm a not so sunny Plymouth :(
Never thought of doing things that way when I was a kid lol well done its really a blrilliant idea .

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just thought if you are in a colder climate it would be great to spray foam it in so it is insulated .You could also still cement and put the foam insulating panels on the out side and put a bigger frame around it .1 idea spawn tons of little ideas :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a very neat idea you did there and yep that pond isn't going anywhere! And congrats on your new little one arriving soon :)

Ask a Question