My New Playpen

Reaction score
My husband had off work yesterday and when I got home I had a surprise waiting on the deck...he had gone out and bought me a small(5'x5'x6.5') plastic greenhouse big enough for a small shelf and the 3 large lotus pots. We had looked at and put it up and tied it down to the deck, and put in a cardboard floor to keep out drafts. We had looked at it at a local home improvement store on Sat. but he said he didn't think it would stay warm enough at night...I told him for the lotus it didn't have to be that warm at night and any other plants would probably do ok also.....he said it was a gift for my birthday which was last month and he had forgotten it again. So have not put anything in yet....awful weather we are having, rain, sleet, snow, rain, sleet...cold damp 32* and not much improvement for the rest of the week....but I'm still happy with it.

Attachments

• April 2011 043.jpg
    April 2011 043.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 247

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! love green houses, keep the plants going. Keep the frost off of them

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's cute! Very handy and sweet belated birthday present.
I built a 8x8x8 out of fiberglass sheets. It's got just a screen door to be able to open the window part when needed. I have a small heater that's set to come on at about 38 degrees. It's worked very good over the years. Marla you said you put cardboard down, Your not going to like that at all, it gets moist it starts rotting and it stinks badly. Plus it mildews pretty quickly. I found a scrap piece of indoor outdoor carpet worked great. it allows for water to pass thru makes the flooring more slip proof, and has anti fungal agents to keep it from rotting, as bad. I can normally get about 1-1 1/2 years out of a piece and pick them up at Lowe's in the scraps for about $5-$10. I do carry the hose in mine and spray everything down when it's water day.....LOL

Reaction score
fishin4cars
thanks for the idea...I know it got wet around the edges with todays rain. This is not a premanant structure, once it is warm enough for things it will come down. and go up again next year.....I may even have some carpet here...I would have liked some thin plywood but this is what he put down so I didn't want to complain about the gift.

Reaction score
Nice I need to get one or build one for my Lotus. I have them in the garage with a small heater to keep the temp up at night.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Marla, if you use carpet use the indoor outdoor type, House carpet doesn't do well either. the indoor outdoor is used in boats, patios, etc. where it is known to be in moist enviroment. guess that's why it works so well. I had to unlevel my green house so water would drain out, like I said I walk in and water Everything when I need to. walls, floor, pots, plants and all. looks like a waterfall coming out the door when I'm done. LOL But it's saved many of my plants through the winters and it works. that's all I needed. Pretty ugly though.:rolleyes: Your's looks better!!!!!!!!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a cute little green house and it will be just the right thing to get your plants off to a good start each Spring :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Also, if your deck is wood and not composite, you will run the risk of rotting the wood if you put anything down for an extended period. Maybe if you are worried about the drafts between the boards, perhaps those can be filled. Happy belated birthday and enjoy the greenhouse!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads