My new pond constuction

Reaction score
How are the rehomed palms doing?

I really miss all the granite rock I would find just laying around in the ground when we lived in Monrovia. I should have crated up a bunch when we moved back to florida.

I'll trade you fine sand for rock!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks great all you need is some nice floating plants in your filter plantainer to help filter the water as I see you have a set up like mine /I could not find the one with the spout so had to use tank adapters

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

GardenGimp Wrote:
How are the rehomed palms doing?

2 are doing great, but one is not so good the center frowns are brown so I don't know if it will make it. I am still hopeful I have seen them
do this and then put out a new set of frowns but it is a waiting game now. I won't be sure untill spring or sooner if the center frowns pull out.

Gimp where in Monrovia did you live and how long ago did you leave.
Sorry I know Florida sand is very pretty but don't need none. :razz:

Sissy Wrote:

looks great all you need is some nice floating plants

Yes once it warms up I will fill it with Hyacinth or Water lettuce or maybe both.

Ruben :razz:

Reaction score
Gimp where in Monrovia did you live and how long ago did you leave.
Sorry I know Florida sand is very pretty but don't need none. :razz:

Ruben :razz:

We lived on Parkrose, just off Wildrose & Mountain. We left in 2004 (came back home to FL). We still miss that house and neighborhood. Funny story, we sold our home to a couple who really wanted it because it was wheelchair friendly for them. We bought stairzilla here in FL and have been cursing the steps and stairs since 2006. I would love to have that house again, make getting around a ton easier for me.

Dang, but this sand is such lovely stuff. Sure you don't want to trade!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Always have to think of stairs and getting older .I got the handicap accessable info on line before this house was built with that in mind .All the doors are 36 inches wide and have swing free hinges ..You have to think ahead because you never know .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We converted this foreclosure we have been working on into handicap accessible. After tearing apart his dad's place to make it accessible for his mom we decided it would be a good idea. 55 plus community, but built long before handicap accessible info out there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best way is now before something happens and then rush to get it done .I decided the changes I made to the house would not matter that much if you did not need them but if you did they are there .Only thing I could never find was an electric range with the controls on the front .Seems only gas ranges come with them .I have not found one yet and have even told all the manufacturers out there but none listen ,they just tell you gas ones come that way and if there is no gas in the house and no gas pipeline all you have is propane and I don't want a propane range .

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Gimp wrote:
We lived on Parkrose, just off Wildrose & Mountain. We left in 2004 (came back home to FL). We still miss that house and neighborhood. Funny story, we sold our home to a couple who really wanted it because it was wheelchair friendly for them. We bought stairzilla here in FL and have been cursing the steps and stairs since 2006. I would love to have that house again, make getting around a ton easier for me.

Oh how funny
We lived in Monrovia on Encinitas ave since 1991 just a few houses north or the First Prep church.
Funny thing we sold that house because it was two story with stairs from h..l never ever will own a house with stairs again.
For 20 years I bet everyday I was like dang what did AI come up here for :razz: :razz:
Anyway we are happy here in Whittier Monrovia is nicer with the wild life and hills but Whittier is good to.

Dang, but this sand is such lovely stuff. Sure you don't want to trade!

umm no I think I am ok but I will gladly send you some stone if you pay shipping :razz:

Ruben

Reaction score
You have to think ahead because you never know .

One day you are tootling along minding your own business and along comes a drunk driver ....
Bam, 6 months later you come home from the hospital, look at all those steps from your wheelchair perch ...
And wish that you had adopted universal design much earlier than age 48 ....

Yes, building with universal design concepts is ever so much better than converting later. We can't afford to convert our kitchen, so hubby does virtually all the cooking. Suits me! And I'm not a full time chair user, I just can't stand for long periods. Or carry something. Or bend and lift. Kitchens are so physically unfriendly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I worked for so long with patients, spent years now converting honey's parents house to handle a Alzheimer patient, it does not consume us, but we are aware, nobody has a clue what the future holds. We try to be ready, prepare without it consuming our current life.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
A little update on the pond
The bad the Palms did not make it. :banghead3: was hoping they would but all that work for nothing.

More news One of my turtles is getting out and trying to lay eggs so I built turtle beach.
I dug out a foot or so of dirt and filled with play sand, And did a edging not sure if it is tall enough but we are keeping a eye out to see if I need it higher.
Here are a few shots

Turttle beach 1.JPG

Turttle beach 2.JPG

Turttle beach 3.JPG

I think they will be ok only think is to give them better acsess don't think they found it yet.

Ruben

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Thanks CE
I will post if and when it happens.

Do's anyone know if it is safe to put those ant traps around the turtle area and pond.
The ones I am talking about are the traps that they go in and take the food back to the nest and the others eat it and die.

Ruben

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE following ponders construction projects. It's so cool so see a vision evolve like your's Ruben. Thank you for taking the time to publish updates and photos. It's inspirational!
Tim

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Pond has been doing great.
But now it is time for a new bridge.
This is what 5 + years old so can not complain
20170428_102808.jpg
After ripping it out and a day in a half of work
I made it wider and longer
20170429_180232.jpg
Still need to sand and paint going to do the whole deck also, structure is still sound hoping to get anotherm5 years out of it.

Here is a.pick or two of the fish
20170429_180320.jpg 20170429_180132(1).jpg

Ruben

Ask a Question