My new pond. Does it really need a drain?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• 20190522_201402.jpg
    20190522_201402.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my pond all dug out. It's approximately 10 ft by 11 ft and 3 ft deep. I cut in a ledge so I can put rocks along the outside to hide the liner. I keep hearing from everyone that I should install a bottom drain but I don't plan on putting rocks in the pond so I know I'll have to do cleaning each year. I really just don't want to have to pay the extra cost ain't you have to upgrade all of the existing equipment that has been specced out for my pond to incorporate this bottom drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You don't need a bottom drain. Just scoop out any debris with a net. I use a pool net. The bag net type, not the flat screen type.
If you don't have a lot of trees, there probably won't be a whole lot to scoop out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no bottom drain, don't miss it at all.
Nice build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You don't necessarily need to do any cleaning every year. Just scooping of large debris, if any. Your liner will developed a coating of algae that is an important part of your pond's ecology. Never empty out or power wash the pond. Maybe a partial water change, but that's it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bottom drains are really more important if you have a dedicated koi pond - all big fish, heavily stocked pond, super-size filtration. In a garden pond they aren't necessary at all. In fact, it's overkill if you ask me and just one more thing to fuss with in your build.

Ask a Question