my new pond, from a newbie ponder

Reaction score
this is my pond, been running now for 3 months...doing great for first pond

boulder7.jpg
[/IMG]

added these boulders in a few days ago, added exactly what i was hoping to see, still need to add some gravel in places to hide the liner, but need some boulders to stop the sliding of the gravel, after adding boulders the fish seem to enjoy swimming about around them
boulder4.jpg
[/IMG]

now my waterfall, turned out rather nice
boulder3.jpg
[/IMG]
finally the fish, four koi, four Giant Danios
boulder8.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats it, forgot to mention that i paid ZERO dollars to build this pond, all came from donations and freebies...

Doug

Reaction score
did you built the wall or you just stacked up the brick and laid the linner over it?
is pond secure in it place?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
its nice to see some one working .the bottom of your pond will naturalize, big rocks are good small ones make it hard to keep your bottom clean. looks like you got a good rock source

Reaction score
Hi Doug,

Your pond looks Great! I'm fairly new to ponding too (5yrs) and was trying to come up with a pond setup for my mother-in-law. She is wheelchair bound and the pond would need to come to the top of the deck for her to enjoy it much.

You have inspired me! Now I just need to convince my brother-in-law (he takes care of mom) he wouldn't mind taking care of a pond :)

Thank you for the inspiration.

Karla

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Hi Doug
Great start! Some suggestions if you don't mind;
A little bamboo to hide the fence and some filler plants and boulders around the pond to make it look natural would be nice.
How thick is the liner and what is it made of? I would be very careful about rocks with sharp edges. I noticed one that if turned over could be a problem.

Reaction score
updates

DrDave said:
Hi Doug
Great start! Some suggestions if you don't mind;
A little bamboo to hide the fence and some filler plants and boulders around the pond to make it look natural would be nice.
How thick is the liner and what is it made of? I would be very careful about rocks with sharp edges. I noticed one that if turned over could be a problem.

thank you, never do i mind suggestions! :( The liner is EPDM 40mil thick, i plan on mortaring them down solid, but i agree sharp rocks falling in is scary...here is an update: Fall 2007, brought all fish in...next year will be a greenhouse over top and they will sat out all year. I actually like the look of the fence, so i think ill keep it.

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

Reaction score
dnwater said:
did you built the wall or you just stacked up the brick and laid the linner over it?
is pond secure in it place?

the wall is cinder blocks, two stacked high...i mortared them in place....so its solid...i have seen others go higher and no problems so far. I used carpet and roof paper for the bottom, then the liner over that, i have some construction pictures ill get them up

doug

Reaction score
KPrincing said:
Hi Doug,

Your pond looks Great! I'm fairly new to ponding too (5yrs) and was trying to come up with a pond setup for my mother-in-law. She is wheelchair bound and the pond would need to come to the top of the deck for her to enjoy it much.

You have inspired me! Now I just need to convince my brother-in-law (he takes care of mom) he wouldn't mind taking care of a pond :)

Thank you for the inspiration.

Karla

sorry took so long to respond here..i am happy i can inspire someone! just beware once you start you cant stop...i have ideas flowing through my head everytime i look at the pond...just need time to do it all:banana:

doug

Reaction score
construction

here are some construction pictures, i did al the work so not a whole lot of pictures, but i would be happy to explain any of it

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

Reaction score
Wow! I love the idea of the cinders! Wish I saw this before I dug my new pond! We have trees galore and although I tried my hardest to "root proof" it, I am still scared something may happen! Oh well, if it happens, atleast I know what I can do then! Looks great!

Ask a Question