My new pond (Help and advice appreciated)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first pond so go easy on me
smile.gif

I finished the dig yesterday and will be lining it tomorrow. I'm just a bit unsure about my Reservoir setup for my waterfall.Its 7.8m x 6m measure straight and 9m x 7m when measure with a flexible table down the side and bottom.

Its 1.2 M deep in the middle and from the pictures it has a number of shelves.

nL14AXml.jpg

2Bpy6cLl.jpg

ZahqBpDl.jpg

0x84HQfl.jpg

WCYDmzxl.jpg

IyU1AxDl.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is my proposed design for my water fall reservoir but I'm thinking it may be over complicated

SqdNAERl.jpg

and I might just get one of these...

ATOpvYE.jpg

I can feed the waterfall but if i need to I can feed the outlet if I want to drain the pond of lower the level...

Thoughts and input appreciated :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!
Someone will soon help you out!:)

Reaction score
The pond looks great. Is your reservoir going to be the filter or just a way to hold water for the falls? In either case I would have the water come in from the bottom of the barrel and exit from the top. I would also add a valve to control the water both in and out. As far as the over flow goes I'm not sure of the purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The pond looks great. Is your reservoir going to be the filter or just a way to hold water for the falls? In either case I would have the water come in from the bottom of the barrel and exit from the top. I would also add a valve to control the water both in and out. As far as the over flow goes I'm not sure of the purpose.

Hi there,

Thanks, The reservoir is just a way to hold the water for the falls.

The overflow was the ability to lower the level of the pond if needed etc...This would be on a valve.

The pump is a variable rate pump So I will be able to control the waterflow via a remote control.

I guess my main question is , Is the reservoir even needed? I guess I could feed the falls directly from the pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I't gonna look great!
Do you know how many gallons it will hold?
What kind of fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice pond and cute puppy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lovely pond! Sweet dog!

My only word of advice - we have a variable speed pump. The remote unit failed after year two. So we are stuck in whatever speed we were in when it stopped responding! Actually, that's not advice at all, since I have nothing to offer as a solution. haha! Maybe to make sure you choose the speed you like and keep it there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The pump I
Lovely pond! Sweet dog!

My only word of advice - we have a variable speed pump. The remote unit failed after year two. So we are stuck in whatever speed we were in when it stopped responding! Actually, that's not advice at all, since I have nothing to offer as a solution. haha! Maybe to make sure you choose the speed you like and keep it there?

The pump i'm looking at is the Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Its a varibale speed pump with a 2 year warranty. They seem to have a good reputation in Europe and the UK

Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000

The Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Pump is now available with remote control that enables you to easily adjust your pond pump flow capacity.

The remote control enables you to switch your Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Pump on/off and set the water flow rate of your Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Pump to the required level of flow rate. This is the most economical to run pond pump as the slower the flow rate, the less wattage your pump uses.

These great economic to run, energy efficient Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Pumps are suitable for dry-mounting and submerged use.
  • High water flow output with an extreme low energy consumption.
  • Suitable for both submerged and dry standing usage.
  • Run Dry Protection, when there is no water the pump stops automatically.

Run Dry and overload protection

The pump is equipped with Run Dry Protection, 10 seconds after being taken away from water, the water pump will stop to protect it from running dry, it will try to re start after 10 seconds, if without water, it will stop again, this cycle will repeat 5 times, then the pump will stop. To re-start the pump take plug from main and plug back in and ensure pump is working well.

The pump has a thermal overload safety device. In the event of any overheating of the motor, this device automatically switches off the pump. The cooling time is roughly 15 to 20 minutes, then the pump automatically comes on again. If the overload cutout is tripped, it is essential to identify and deal with the cause of the overheating.

Superfish Pond ECO Plus RC 10000 Performance
  • 4500 l/h - 1.6m max head - 13 watt
  • 5000 l/h - 2.1m max head - 17 watt
  • 5700 l/h - 2.7m max head - 23 watt
  • 6200 l/h - 3.2m max head - 30 watt
  • 6800 l/h - 3.8m max head - 38 watt
  • 7300 l/h - 4.4m max head - 45 watt
  • 7700 l/h - 5.0m max head - 53 watt
  • 8100 l/h - 5.4m max head - 59 watt
  • 8400 l/h - 5.7m max head - 64 watt
  • 9200 l/h - 5.8m max head - 68 watt
Complete with 2 year manufacturer warranty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Will have the edging finished tonight :)

Then I can move on to the falls and reservoir.

ItDhVWil.jpg

u4JTYPsl.jpg

ud9oNwMl.jpg

Reaction score
I feed my water falls from a 275 gallon tank that is also my filter. I pump to the tank and then when the water reaches the top of the tank it exits through a 2" hose. What I have to do is slow the water down with a valve going into the tank so that the falls isn't too fast. I'm not sure how much you will be able to regulate your flow since you will have a small tank that will fill up very quickly. Once filled the water will either have to overflow the tank or be expelled quickly. In order to keep the water in the pond turning over quick enough you may not be able to do it if you have to slow the rate down enough to keep the tank from overflowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I feed my water falls from a 275 gallon tank that is also my filter. I pump to the tank and then when the water reaches the top of the tank it exits through a 2" hose. What I have to do is slow the water down with a valve going into the tank so that the falls isn't too fast. I'm not sure how much you will be able to regulate your flow since you will have a small tank that will fill up very quickly. Once filled the water will either have to overflow the tank or be expelled quickly. In order to keep the water in the pond turning over quick enough you may not be able to do it if you have to slow the rate down enough to keep the tank from overflowing.

Would you mind posting some pics?

Cheers

Ask a Question