My new pond is starting to turn green

Reaction score
My 2 1/2 week old pond is starting to turn green.I have a doc filter with poultry fencing in it.I just dumped it for the first time.I was waiting to get plants because the temp has been flucating a lot here in the northeast.I just ordered some water lettuce from ebay late last week so hopefully that helps.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Water Lettuce is good, but it may be too soon if it is still cold there. Mine is just starting to grow and our weather is warmer than yours.

Give the Doc Filter more time. How many fish do you have and how large is your pond? All this contributes to the Bio filter's timing. Once it kicks in, the green will go away overnight.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your bio filter is going to take a lot longer to get "colonized" with the anerobic bacteria since you have very little waste (only a few small fish) to get it started.

Reaction score
I did start it off with about 30 skippy pads I had in my african cichlid sump for about 2 weeks.
Do you think i should get more goldfish?I did not want to get to many because i thought would make it thru the nitrogen cycle.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If I were putting gold fish in a 1000 gallon pond, I would start at 50. My experience with feeders has shown me that 25% or more won't ever eat and die as a result. The fish stores don't feed them to keep their tanks clean. So they are weak when you get them.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Something else to consider is if your pond is in the direct sun. This will turn it green quick if not established. I made some 3/4" pvc frames that are covered with window screening. That along with my new filter and I have clear water.

Reaction score
Only about 5 hours of sun.It is not totaly green but it is getting there.My plants will be here on tues or weds.
I just bought about 45 more goldfish to hopefully spped up the nitrogen cycle.

Reaction score
It is that time of year when your pond will turn green. It happens to many of us. What I have learned is that I always start off with a water change. I change about 30 percent of the water at first. I have learned if you have a big enough pond to invest in a UV light. They definitely make a big difference. I also use barley straw. It does help soften the water and help keep it clean and it is not a chemical. If you do choose to use a chemical to help I have found that Green Clean is awesome! When you put it in all the algae will float to the top and your filter should suck it up! Again, this time of year it is very common for your pond to go a little green. You really have to wait for the filters to kick in and good bacteria to start growing and plants also help alot. However I know here in Ct it is still to early to get plants-so you just have to wait a bit.
Knowing if your filter is big enough for your pond helps. Hope this helps some of you- I know it is very discouraging and aggravating but hang in there!!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Try making some kind of removeabe screen cover,like window screening. Make frames from 3/4" pvc. This will let some light through but will also filter the light as well. This along with my new filter has my pond clear fore the first time ever.
I tried water plants but my koi eat them faster then they can grow. I still do water plants just not in the koi part.

Ask a Question