My New Pond

This is my new, upgraded pond. I had a small 250 gal, plastic, pre-fab pond. Finally took it out and upgraded to about an 900 gal. Pond with 3 small Koi and around 20 plus goldfish.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jeff Kraemer submitted a new Showcase Item:

My New Pond

So...i started out about 6 yrs ago just wanting a water feature because i love nature and the sound of water trickling.
I bought a plastic pre-fab pond (250gal), dug a hole, sunk it into the ground and went to the local quarry and bought 2 pick-up truck loads of large rocks to hide the ugly plastic liner. I didn't know $h!t about having a pond, but I made that pond look as good as it could look. Then i began to learn that you could not have clean, mosquito larva free water without either putting chemicals in it or fish. I don't like the idea of chemicals, so i decided to throw some Goldfish in there. Then i learned that I couldn't have the fish without filtration. So i started to read a lot about it and research the whole process. So i built a small home made bio-filter and ran it to the waterfall. It worked! Water was perfect, I was hooked. So fast forward to the present. I out grew the little tiny pond i had... and decided to upgrade. Now let me just say this...i really wanted a koi pond. But with the tree's in my yard, there was not a lot of room for a pond the size i would have wanted it to be. Plus i didn't want the whole yard to be nothing but Pond! I Know myself. It could have ended up that way. So i decided to keep it cheap, stick with goldfish, and do everything myself as usual.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice pond and welcome to the forum. Many of us start with smaller ponds and it is not long before we want to make them bigger!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love rocks in a pond until they get dirty .I do love your pond and boy that is a school of fish hanging together ,best buddies .I think we all want bigger but bigger sometimes means more work ,lots more work and once we start digging we say why did we do this .You could connect another pond to your new pond

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I remember the learning process and frustrations when I first got a little preformed pond.
You have done a great job in building your pond. Goldfish can be just as rewarding as Koi. I started out with a few ten cent feeder goldfish and a few that my kids won in the school carnival and they all have grown up beautifully. The largest is about 10 inches now. It is so neat to watch them grow big in your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I click it and it works sissy. But then it is over an hour later now then when you posted that.
zeke, bill and me 5.jpg

Ask a Question