My New Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Morning,
I was hoping for a little advice/direction in building my new pond.
My original plan was for an upper pond (18'x8') with a stream that wound downhill to a smaller (8'x7') pond.
I have since learned that the smaller pond is a bad idea, as the pond on the bottom should be larger than the one up top.
I think I have scaled back my original idea to just the upper pond.
I'm thinking about buying a complete kit from Patriot on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Comp..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=WJ175XSHMYT6X2H0AVMG

Does anybody have any experience with these kits?
I had a pond in another life, but it was built by previous homeowner, it was a rudimentary thing, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
I am planning on stepped ledges around the edge, with about 4' being the deepest depth. I will have plants and a few fish to start with.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This may or may not be a good deal. I would price things out separately.
I agree! I would dig the pond first before buying the liner. I've seen many times when people buy liners then dig the pond and the liner is to small or way to big.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree! I would dig the pond first before buying the liner. I've seen many times when people buy liners then dig the pond and the liner is to small or way to big.

That's a good idea. Thanks for the advice. Is there any opinions on type of pump? Submerged or not?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it were me I'd go with a external pump. They cost a lot less to operate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was under the impression external pumps are more efficient. I'm all about saving as much as I can on my electric bill.
I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate a stream. I'm thinking of putting the stream first, turning into a waterfall into the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use nothing but external pumps, mine is around 6800 gph you don't even really notice it on the electric bill when we turn it on.
I have a skimmer, it draws via the lines going to the pump, I have a Y right before the pump. A ball valve on the skimmer line lets me control the flow.

I do pull mine for the winter, use a pond breather to keep air exchange going over winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What brand pump do you use?
Your only suction line is off your skimmer? Is that to reduce any solids from getting drawn in?
Do you ever have to clean the bottom of the pond?
To winterize it, do you completely remove the pump and drain your lines?
Sorry with all the questions, but if I decide to go this route, I'll have to change my initial plans.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What brand pump do you use?
Your only suction line is off your skimmer? Is that to reduce any solids from getting drawn in?
Do you ever have to clean the bottom of the pond?
To winterize it, do you completely remove the pump and drain your lines?
Sorry with all the questions, but if I decide to go this route, I'll have to change my initial plans.
It is dragon lim pump, pricey, I bought it 15 years ago for my pond in Arizona. Moved it to Maryland, the pump not the pond.....lol
Laguna makes some good efficient pumps.
I have two other pumps on stand by if this one dies. Both external, both energy efficient. Sequence brand
I net the bottom of my pond off and on, more off than on. With my huge bog/gravel/plant filter I don't seem to accumulate a lot of bottom debris.
I remove the pump, just leave the lines open to air. Most do not drain. The only one that cracked was stepped on by some deer, so I buried it better.
I stuff the external skimmer with bubble wrap to displace water so it won't freeze up and crack.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the information. I'm going to look into a set up like you have.
Would it be difficult to incorporate a bog filter after a waterfall? I was thinking the water current might help in the filtration.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only problem with doing it that way is the water would flow over the top of the filter medium, it would flow through the plants which will help filtering. I had a small one doing that, the surface would get clogged with muck, end up overflowing out into the yard, I had to change it. It is best to have the water come up and through the filter.

You could do a water fall flowing into a planted wetlands area that would then flow into your pond. Maybe a catch basin at the bottom of the waterfall to keep it from digging out the area and disperse the water into the wetlands area. @Meyer Jordan he is best at describing wet land filters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Having a catch basin at the bottom of the waterfall might be a good idea. That would take the brunt of the force of the water.
I'll have to look into the difference between a bog and a wetlands filter. They sound very similar.
Thank you for your help.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are. My filter is basically a up flow pea gravel filter full of plants, really full. Keeps the pond water perfect, green water never occurs. Mine is around 25% or larger the size of the pond, 26 ft x 4.5 ft x 2.5 feet deep It is slightly cloudy when I first turn it on in the spring, that cloudiness is gone within a few days. Water is pumped into the bottom, it water falls back into the pond.
Called a bog, some call it a wet lands filter, some call it a up flow pea gravel filter.

He had a wet lands filter, basically (will not explain as well as he could) the stream sides were planted, the water spread out and went though the planted area, like a low slow flowing stream in nature. Hope I am explaining it decently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The liner definitely is not the proper size. I think it's calculated for a very shallow pond. Also who is to say what chemicals you need. I don't use any. Also I don't think lights in a pond are needed and are more hassle than they are worth. I agree with the above comments to think about the design of the pond and decide what you want and not buy something someone bundled up without knowing anything about your design or plan. I have used AZponds for supplies. Also agree with Addy's comments to think about energy usage for the pump. Spending a little more on an energy efficient pump will save you a lot of money. Good luck!

Ask a Question