My new showa from niigata japan

Reaction score
poijyre.png

She should be here Thursday can't wait she was born in 2009 still changing can't wait to see what happens with the black coming up

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice looking fish Matt, Come from Kodama Koi? I just got three in from Kodoma, All three Doitsu.
The fish you picked has some flaws that the REALLY serious will critique. Personally one flaw is a plus point in my own opinion. That's the one blue eye one red eye. I have a fondness for a red eye koi but judges a lot of the time don't. Also if you really look at most of the recent showas that have won championship status the judges are leaning more toward fish that have the sumi lightning bolt through the head. Again I like the cleaner look of the one you picked. This is just my opinion, don't know if they stated or not but it appears to be male. The biggest concern I have with that fish is the pecs. It could be the picture and not the fish but it appears the pecs are different sizes. That's a flaw that the serious will point out quickly. Overall though, I think you will dearly fall in love with it. Not going to find anything around our area close to the quality of that fish and if you did, it would probably cost us two doubloons and a gator tail. LOL
BTW, hope I didn't critique to hard, On the Koi forums I would not usually judge at all. Just read, To new at it but like reading the opinions of those that are more involved in showing. I also want to say, It's also a nicer choice of fish than the three I just purchased.

Reaction score
It says it's a female I trust kodamas judgement the head it's hard to see but it has some more black coming thru and a little more black should come up on the tail hard to tell but it still has not finished j picked it because I know it won't end up with a ton of black like most showas do but it should be very balanced by the time it finishes she should put off some amazing fry check the head tell me if u can see the black coming up in lighting bolt also the left side has some spots of black coming up as long as I don't end up with an old style looking Showa ie the ones with the black so streached it looks grey I did see the red covers the eye but from my limited experience with gosanke development I love that it doesn't have one huge red patch I'll post my sanke up judge it for me just promise me u won't hold back lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would trust Kodama far more than myself! LOL They have many years of doing this, Myself I still consider slightly above novice. LOL The pecs of a male are usually more pointed on males than females. Also if you look at the dorsal fin usually females will spread outward in that region. Males tend to have smotther line in parallel with the dorsal. If it is a female, It's probably already spawned for the year and been fed lightly the last few weeks getting it ready to put up for auction and prepare for shipping. I agree Matt, I like the fine details of this fish far better than the Sanke. The sumi on this fish looks cleaner and IMO appears to be more stable as well, Yes it's going to develope a more finished look as it grows. I think it still has plenty of room to improve as it grows. The two of them should both make really nice breeders, Good bloodlines and genes to start working with!
Care to critique my three Kodama Koi? The Kikusui is from Aokiya, the showa, has a lot of room for development, It's a Suzujyu Koi, Female, and then the Beni Kumonryu is a Yamasan Koi and a male. Also Will have Shamu my female Kumonryu, Sunshine, My Ki Kin Doitsu, Thinking on working on a project with scaless koi.
Oh and BTW, My fish arrived three in the box and were doing wonderful when they arrived. absolutly stunning and healthy. Didn't seem the least bit stressed. I have them in QT right now. They did take about three days before they started feeding and even today only eat a small amount compred to all my other fish.

Attachments

• Kodama Aokiya Kikusui.jpg
    Kodama Aokiya Kikusui.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Kodama Suzujya showa.jpg
    Kodama Suzujya showa.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 337
  • Kodama Yamasan Beni Kumonryu.jpg
    Kodama Yamasan Beni Kumonryu.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
Funny part is I saw the fish and was like their is something about this fish put my bid in then saw the koi info page on kodama my jaw like to drop I was like luck strikes again then some jerk bid on it then it was one in the end I had to jack up one of his fish 200$ then he stoped bidding on mine and out bid me on his i bealive it's been in qt since he got it which is why so skinny if so good because I'd like to get another male Showa to have a 3 way cus one on one leaves of unfertilized eggs. If not I'm sure I can pull some quality from even the crossing I'll just keep the black only. On to your fish scaleless fish has the cleanest lines ever I Love it I'm not much of a judge I just know ur fish look great kodama def is smart being half way between America and japan good call def great fish hopefully my fish come in health like yours

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My understanding Kodam keeps the fish for about 1-2 years, Then they bowl and cull. They are bought in lots and they keep the highest quality koi to go to preferred customers. The rest are auctioned. When they prepare a group for bowling measuring and gettingvready for shipping they won't feed for about 2-3 weeks to keep waste in bags and bowls to a minimum. Show people do the same thing prior to a show but they fatten the fish up ahead of time so that they are still bulked up even after not feeding for a week or two. The showa I bought should develope a lot as it grows but right now is junk compared to the quality of fish you got. BUT I liked it because of the horseshoe marking on the side. I had a Beni Kumonryu a few years back when i first joined the site and a Heron ate it. At the time it was one of my favorite fish and this showa almost has identical markings as that Beni Kumonryu. It was more of a I wanted because of the marking and I know I should buy fish like that, but when it hits you that its what you want it's what you want. LOL
I think you'll be very happy when the box arrives!

Reaction score
I didn't know how long he raises them for this is all great to know I def want to get a Sakura Showa from dianichi I'll def get all my koi from kodama if these go well he def has some amazing fish ESP the featured and showcase koi I def néed legit japaneese breeding stock it's alot of time and work to raise koi and breed so might as well go big or go home plus I really like gosanke and Showa ESP quality is always the best in the pond in my opinion maybe if I recommend them I can be preferred customer if only I could afford the preferred koi.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, To get on Kodama Koi preferred list a single fish would probably cost more than our ponds. LOL I think I'll stick to the featured and ebay koi. You ought to try out Purdin Koi in Glynn, Have to call and make an appointment but well worth the trip. if you ever want to go up i'll be happy to make the arrangments to go up and we can make the ride together. They do have some super nice high quality fish. Only Gosanke, nothing else. Some will stand up against any fish out of Japan. I'm surprised you are looking at Dianchi Showa. They finish so late in growth and they appear washed out on the sumi until they do finish. Of all the Dianchi I have seen on forums and in person Only one really impressed me and that was a 22" fish at the Dallas koi show last year. BTW, It didn't place at all. The fish that won was a domestic showa raised here in the states. lol

Reaction score
So here's my revew on kodama koi farm fish got here triple bagged with a fourth dark bag on all to keep dark I guess to keep koi calm fish came in so clean no bumps or scratches from shipping. They look very healthy they def were quarantined for a while prior to shipping I'll get pcs when they are more adjusted. I hate tO say it because I don't want my bids jacked up but I have to give them their due great fish very reasonable price shipped free this month I'll def get all my fish from them. They kept in touch and most of all the fish look just as good as the pics show the sanke looks better then pictured and the female is about 2 inches LOnger than it says two free inches don't sound like much but I'll take it. 5 stars all day I'd recommend them all day ESP the showcase koi.

Ask a Question