My new updated pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
DSC00929.JPGHi! I haven't been on in a while but I just wanted to post a picture of my new pond that I took this afternoon! After koidaddy so graciously rescued my big koi from my tiny pond I took out the small 160 gallon pre-formed pond and dug out a hole as big as I could in my patio space and put in a liner pond. Now it is about 900 gallons and is 4 ft. deep. I put in one plant shelf along the left side rear but probably should have put in another. I installed a laguna filter and pump system with a waterfall. I had to get rid of the skippy because there was simply no more room. And finally I put in 5 fish. I have one shubunkin, 1 white comet and 3 of really cute goldfish. It's such a joy to see them swim in the new larger pond. Any ideas for plant stands (not too big) that I could put in the pond to hold up some other rush plants?? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the kind words everybody! Yes, koiguy1969, the patio is enclosed with screen so we keep out all the raccoons, etc! I only wish I had more property to build a larger pond like some of the beauties I see on this site.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
looks great!

As far as plant stands, maybe those file crates sitting upside down? You can get them at Target, Wally World, or any office supply place. It would also provide a cool little cave for the fishies.

File-Crate-HSL_i_H71716.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great looking pond, very nice bridge. I just stuck my rush in the pond, it is sitting about 12 inches down and doing great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Great idea to use the file crate. I'll get some this weekend and give it a try. Thanks! Also, just wondering....anyone have any trap door snails in their ponds? I put in a dozen but I don't know if they will make a difference in the amount of algae that grows. Everything I read says that they eat the algae and leftover fish food, etc., anyone had any experience with them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chris, Really nice pond. I'm sure your fish are happier now. That's a nice shot of the golf course behind you. Hopefully the golfers don't think your pond is a water hazard! Snails will cut down on the algae but also floating plants will probably have a greater affect by competing for the same nutrients the algae feed on and also by blocking the sun and thereby cutting down on algae growth.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of trap doors, you see them wandering around eating. I would not expect them to eat all the algae, but help. But also with the size of my pond I would need a lot more than I have.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond looks nice and neat that it is protected from flying birds and golf balls!

Ask a Question