my newbie pond build thread

Reaction score
Hi I'm jason I'm building/ upgrading a koi pond for my dad. Were in mesa az where its 115 in summer . Right now its just a simple 6 ft diameter pond with koi simple filtr and pump some real nice lilipads and not much else. The goal is : It will have three levels, top level wher waterstarts ,cascade to second level biofilter thru plants, cascade to final pond area, approx fifteen ft wide , five foot back. Trying to keep in th 1000 to 1500 dollar range. Want to use 4000 gph pump, mechanical and bio filtration. Tryin to have abalance of keeping costs low as possible and simple design. Here's what I need to know. What's a good 4000gph pump that has agreat price. What's th cheapest and easiest way of doing mechanical and biofiltration and skimmer. How bout using those premade bio/mech filter tubs. How bout easy mainenance. I know imall over the place, just want to get the ballrolling. So first I think its best to know how I'm doing this so I can have a parts list for major components.. thanks for anyhelp

Reaction score
What u guys think about the watergardens 1250 biofilter waterfall.
And who makes a better pump between aquasurge, norus, and atlantic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't know much about skimmers as i don't have one ,no need since i don't have any leaves or stuff blowing in the pond and my pumps are cheap ones .The filters i built myself.I put one on each end of the pond ,koi are fussy fish

Attachments

• house 2012 007.JPG
    house 2012 007.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 357
  • house 2012 037.JPG
    house 2012 037.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 395
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, I like your pond, nice setup.

I decided not to use a skimmer as I don't have trees or debris around my pond. I will be using brushes and pads in a filter box via bottom drain for mechanical filters then pumped to the watergardens waterfall biofilter which will cascade to the second level which will contain the plant biofilters, which will then cascade to main pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like you will have a great cleaning system for your pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona pond was 5.5 feet deep, with a water fall to help keep the water cool. It managed to stay in the 85 degree range during the summer. I did have a skimmer, with our wonderful dust storms it was a real help.

and welcome to our group!

welcomefromgang4.gif

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The trick with waterfalls is to have enough water flowing fast and dropping into pond, seen some waterfalls that actually pour too slow over long areas of black slate and it actually can heat the pond instead of cooling. Some peoples streams are that way too, where water moves too lazy and slow over shallow areas and heats instead of cooling. Spitters work good for cooling and can be used as well. It would help too to green up around pond with srubs, bushes and trees, seeing how your dealing with extreme heat, you may need to employ all these ideas. Last don't forget to green up inside the pond with tall water grasses, water irises or rushes, (sedges) which will help clean and shade pond from within.

Attachments

• IMAG4116.jpg
    IMAG4116.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG3486.jpg
    IMAG3486.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMAG3434.jpg
    IMAG3434.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Great info, yes my goal is to have pure waterfalls, no strem or slow water, and I alrady have a nice selection of greens. But I will be upgrading to a full set of bioplants, I've been complimented by many on the success of my lilipads too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My waterfall/fountain was around 5 feet tall, lots of water flowed and cooled

P1013612em.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hellotherefrogs.gif
jason
Looking forward to seeing your setup when you get it going. I don't have any of that fancy stuff, no skimmer, bottom drain, no koi, just happy goldies living the simple life :razz:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, forgot to WeLcOmE YoU! :D
Nice to hear that you pads are comming nice, hope to see your pictures sometime! Sorry I can't help you much with those filters, never used that kind. I have simple big round pre- pump filters and the big sedges do the rest of the cleaning.

Ask a Question