My Next Project (THIS ONE IS BIG!!!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been planning this project at my parents house for 2 months now and I am finally doing it this weekend. My father is out of town on a business trip and my mother will be joining him tomorrow. I have convinced my mother to let me landscape an area of there backyard as a surprise for my dad. What neither of them realize is that they will be getting a large water feature. Which they have talked about for at least the past 10 years.

After building 2 ponds and landscaping my own yard I finally feel confident that I can do a good job for them. The plan as of now is to have a pointless water feature with a rock waterfall, an urn, a stream bed, and a bubbling rock or two. I have all supplies ordered and on hand. All that's left is to visit the rock yard tomorrow to pick out stone.

Here are some current pictures of the area.
20180729_105150.jpg
20180729_104347.jpg
20180729_104320.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow so nice of you and do we get to see you doing this in action? Hope so! Sounds like it will be very nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What a great present to give, hope you get a picture of their reaction, looking forward to the finished water feature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck, I hope you have taken all the roots your going to encounter into your plans

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! You need to have them blindfolded and do a reveal while filming of course!

Good luck on your weekend build!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW your are a great son and if I lived close I would come help you .This is the perfect surprise and you will need to show all the build and the surprise reveal .I would love to see their faces

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good luck, I hope you have taken all the roots your going to encounter into your plans
Yes I plan on roots being the biggest issue. My Dad LOVES his trees so removing large roots is not an option. Thankfully the area is already sunken in a good 4-6 inches and I dont plan on digging in much more than that it the area. This is not a pond but a water feature with a steam bed. So I am not overly concerned around the larger tree. However I will be installing a basin for approximately 80 gallons of water to be stored. This is where the roots will come into play. The block media will be made of some vintage milk crates from my grandparents house. They are supper thick and strong plastic and should work great. Using these individual crates will hopefully give me more flexibility on the shape of the basin to work around large roots if needed.

We shall find out on Saturday. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Rock have been delivered. Total order was 3,250 lbs of moss rock, 1,700 lbs of Colorado river stone, 6 cubic yards of garden soil, and 2 cubic yards of hardwood mulch. Will also be stopping by today to pick up a half a dozen buckets of sand as well.

I also made the first trip to the nursery and purchased $200 of plants for landscaping. I'll make another trip today and then one more Saturday afternoon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can't wait to see the finished product and to hear about dad's surprised reaction
smbravo.gif

y

Ask a Question