My Organic Garden Swimming Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello all,

In May 2014, I posted to the forum for the first time to introduce myself as I anticipated the conversion of my 23 y/o badly damaged (by harsh winters) inground swimming pool to an organic garden swimming pond in the Ontario/Quebec area of Canada.

June 2014, I began the project after researching various concepts for three years. I worked within the existing fence line and did all work by hand/power tools and my small tractor/trailer.

I opted to go with an air circulation system using an air pump/lines, air stones and common 4" plumbing fittings and perforated plastic distribution pipe. This, combined with aquatic plants (in tubs) placed in a greatly expanded water area filled with sand and colorful river rock, and the emergence of a natural ecosystem of water life (frogs, tadpoles, water beetles, dragonflies, etc. that mostly tend to stay in the planting zone), continually cleans the water (the 8' bottom can be clearly seen) and controls mosquitos. There is no algae, and the shallow plant area also serves as a natural solar water heater with the warmed water recirculated back into the swimming area. The water has been totally clear since I first added water last fall, even through very heat/humid periods thus far this summer. Best of all, no chemicals whatsoever. No more fishing out dead frogs and other critters. As for fish, although I could add ornamental fish like koi, or even eating fish like bass, I will not be doing that. I've struck a great water quality balance for swimming which is my priority and fish could be problematic.

This system is minimal maintenance. It balances itself. For winter, no draining of lines because they are only air-filled...no water/pump lines. Just turn off the pump and cut-back the plants. That's it! It is wonderful to swim in. I just placed the deck furniture yesterday and my wife and I have finally been able to sit out and enjoy...read, me playing guitar.

Below are pics of some major steps of the project. All I have left to do is build the in-water stairs, ladder and diving board, which I will do next week. Next season, we plan to buy new deck furniture including a gazebo and propane fire pit, as well as plant flowering vines on the fencing to adorn it's less than optimal look.

Original pool. The pic was taken a few years before the damage that occurred as a result of a very cold/harsh winter in 2013/14 where the side walls bowed-in somewhat, separating the skimmer housing, and the concrete decking seriously heaved and cracked. I knew the day was coming where serious intervention would be required, which is why I began to research an alternative, especially since I was never comfortable with a chemical pool.
image.jpg1_zpsfaob5glg.jpg

Committed (some say I should've been) ... :)
image.jpg2_zpsaetacrff.jpg

Framing (retained some existing galvanized steel walls, and used hemlock timbers and in-ground rated pressure-treated wood)...
image.jpg3_zpszvctbdb4.jpg

One-piece Firestone pond liner (45 mil) installed...
image.jpg4_zpsakjtb5tc.jpg

Air/stone 'bubble lift pump' water circulation assembly (there are 5 around the pond)...
image.jpg5_zpsb9hc7xnn.jpg

Installation of river rock (all hand-washed) and sand layers...
image.jpg6_zpspczmdgvh.jpg

Finished product with cedar decking (as of yesterday). I moved the far fencing out 4' to construct a boardwalk to connect the shallow-end and deep-end decks. The green barrel is a homemade skimmer/filter driven by a bubble air-stone pump. A basket with geotextile fabric is within that I hose-down once a week...
image.jpg1_zpsuf8osags.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello. I haven't yet done so. I used deep well water to fill the pond late last fall before winter set in. This season, the water has remained extremely clear throughout the remaining construction. I just completed the deck last week. Your suggestion to test the water is a good one, which I will do. All the plant and little critter life is doing extremely well, which should be a good indicator.

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Hello all,

In May 2014, I posted to the forum for the first time to introduce myself as I anticipated the conversion of my 23 y/o badly damaged (by harsh winters) inground swimming pool to an organic garden swimming pond in the Ontario/Quebec area of Canada.

June 2014, I began the project after researching various concepts for three years. I worked within the existing fence line and did all work by hand/power tools and my small tractor/trailer.

I opted to go with an air circulation system using an air pump/lines, air stones and common 4" plumbing fittings and perforated plastic distribution pipe. This, combined with aquatic plants (in tubs) placed in a greatly expanded water area filled with sand and colorful river rock, and the emergence of a natural ecosystem of water life (frogs, tadpoles, water beetles, dragonflies, etc. that mostly tend to stay in the planting zone), continually cleans the water (the 8' bottom can be clearly seen) and controls mosquitos. There is no algae, and the shallow plant area also serves as a natural solar water heater with the warmed water recirculated back into the swimming area. The water has been totally clear since I first added water last fall, even through very heat/humid periods thus far this summer. Best of all, no chemicals whatsoever. No more fishing out dead frogs and other critters. As for fish, although I could add ornamental fish like koi, or even eating fish like bass, I will not be doing that. I've struck a great water quality balance for swimming which is my priority and fish could be problematic.

This system is minimal maintenance. It balances itself. For winter, no draining of lines because they are only air-filled...no water/pump lines. Just turn off the pump and cut-back the plants. That's it! It is wonderful to swim in. I just placed the deck furniture yesterday and my wife and I have finally been able to sit out and enjoy...read, me playing guitar.

Below are pics of some major steps of the project. All I have left to do is build the in-water stairs, ladder and diving board, which I will do next week. Next season, we plan to buy new deck furniture including a gazebo and propane fire pit, as well as plant flowering vines on the fencing to adorn it's less than optimal look.

Original pool. The pic was taken a few years before the damage that occurred as a result of a very cold/harsh winter in 2013/14 where the side walls bowed-in somewhat, separating the skimmer housing, and the concrete decking seriously heaved and cracked. I knew the day was coming where serious intervention would be required, which is why I began to research an alternative, especially since I was never comfortable with a chemical pool.
image.jpg1_zpsfaob5glg.jpg

Committed (some say I should've been) ... :)
image.jpg2_zpsaetacrff.jpg

Framing (retained some existing galvanized steel walls, and used hemlock timbers and in-ground rated pressure-treated wood)...
image.jpg3_zpszvctbdb4.jpg

One-piece Firestone pond liner (45 mil) installed...
image.jpg4_zpsakjtb5tc.jpg

Air/stone 'bubble lift pump' water circulation assembly (there are 5 around the pond)...
image.jpg5_zpsb9hc7xnn.jpg

Installation of river rock (all hand-washed) and sand layers...
image.jpg6_zpspczmdgvh.jpg

Finished product with cedar decking (as of yesterday). I moved the far fencing out 4' to construct a boardwalk to connect the shallow-end and deep-end decks. The green barrel is a homemade skimmer/filter driven by a bubble air-stone pump. A basket with geotextile fabric is within that I hose-down once a week...
image.jpg1_zpsuf8osags.jpg
This looks awesome! Really cool idea converting the pool to a pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Thank you, Marshall. I notice that you're in Georgia. If you ever want to tackle an organic swimming pond project, I know a guy in Georgia who just completed his, though not a pool conversion. Actually, starting from scratch is much easier. I can provide his contact info if/when you like.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Thank you, Marshall. I notice that you're in Georgia. If you ever want to tackle an organic swimming pond project, I know a guy in Georgia who just completed his, though not a pool conversion. Actually, starting from scratch is much easier. I can provide his contact info if/when you like.
Thanks and I will keep that in mind. Right now I have 2 ponds, one for koi and one for my turtles but I may want another someday so I will let you know if I do and I will get that info from you. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You've put a lot of work into that and it great.(y)
I would be concerned about using it for swimming though. You're going to have bird droppings, dead bugs, decaying plant matter which will be food for bacteria, mould and fungus.
Interested to hear how you will be adressing that, as Meyer Jordan mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Thanks for your comments Mitch. Actually, organic swimming ponds are becoming more common in North America, but are much more common in the UK and Western Europe. I followed the process of UK swimming pond designer David Pagan Butler. Experience has shown that with a well-designed/balanced swimming pond ecosystem, there should not be any health concerns. The super aeration of the approach I employed really helps with water quality. Swimming in mine thus far has not produced any health issues. The ecosystem takes care of unwanted ingredients. I'm also about to install a vacuum system whereby I'll place a circular air stone in a typical swimming pool brush attached to a long handle and connect the line to the air compressor, and vacuum any debris into a large container where the debris will pass through a geotextile filter fabric and anything that gets through will settle to the bottom of the container. The top, clean water, will be recycled back into the planting/regeneration zone where it will be further filtered through the river rock/sand substrate, through more geotextile fabric and back into the perforated distribution pipes connected to the bubble lift pumps, then back into the swimming area. Also, the filter/skimmer draws in any surface debris and filters it through geotextile fabric. There are plenty of examples where people are happily, healthily swimming among the pond life. This was part of my 3 year research before beginning the project.

As for decaying plant matter, that won't be a problem because all plants are in tubs and easy to prune, as well as control to not establish where I don't want them to. Fall leaves will be removed pretty much daily while they're floating...they will also be drawn to the surface skimmer basket.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These types of installations are collectively called NSPs (Natural Swimming Ponds/Pools). Although they have in fact been in use in Europe for about 30 years, there is no hard evidence that they are as safe as a conventional swimming pool. On the contrary, these types of installations have yet to be recognized, much less endorsed, by the WHO and the CDC as safe for human immersion.
In order to insure a proper safe level of disinfection at least one or more of the following methods must be employed- Chlorine, Commercial level UV sterilization, Absolute 1 micron membrane filtration, Ozone injection, and/or flocculation.
A constructed wetlands filter (regen zone) of the size employed in these installations is hardly of a sufficiently large enough footprint to provide any natural sterilization through predation or any other means.
Clear water or what a pondkeeper may refer to as balanced water does not equal safe or healthy water. Ask anyone who has lost fish to pathogenic organisms in what was thought to be a safe environment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info, Meyer. It is true that such swimming ponds are commonly referred to as Natural Swimming Ponds/Pools, though in reality, there is little natural about it, more a simulation with added natural elements, and some that add themselves. I prefer the term Organic Swimming Pond.

I'm not going to debate the specifics you present except to say, that I followed the recommended 50:50 ratio of swimming to regeneration zone area and employed an air-based water circulation system for low-pressure flow (to better serve the aquatic plants/animals...much better than the water-based high pressure systems and additives that companies like Aquascape promote).

If what you say is true, folks better not immerse themselves in fresh water lakes. As for WHO/CDC endorsement of this pond/pool concept, I doubt it's high on their priority list. I'll take my chances on my water, have it occasionally tested and be sure not to drink it, rather than expose myself or family/friends to chemical-induced water designed to kill everything that enters it except for people (at a minimum, it can't be good for the skin). Been there, done that...no more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Of course, there are problems with rivers/lakes/beaches, mainly caused by human ignorance/irresponsibility. I have done my very best to create a largely 'closed' water feature containing the cleanest natural water possible for swimming (now all rainwater). I totally believe it is possible to create an ongoing safe environment. Some will agree with me, some won't. C'est la vie. I wonder how many non-swimming pond ponders go in their water (without boots/clothes) for maintenance purposes, or to simply cool off. Any health issues?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen natural swimming ponds on a couple of nat geo tv shows and they even have fish in them .That must have been a lot of work and 1 expensive liner .Have you had any problems with the cedar wood yet putting tannins in the water or is it to new yet .I just think it is one neat idea and sure is prettier that just a pool in the ground .I watch that show that does all the fancy natural looking swimming pools on tv .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I have seen natural swimming ponds on a couple of nat geo tv shows and they even have fish in them .That must have been a lot of work and 1 expensive liner .Have you had any problems with the cedar wood yet putting tannins in the water or is it to new yet .I just think it is one neat idea and sure is prettier that just a pool in the ground .I watch that show that does all the fancy natural looking swimming pools on tv .
Hi sissy. Yes, it was a lot of work...7 months worth and 30 lbs. lost...all good. This pond took more physical effort than when I built my log house 32 years ago. The liner cost Cdn$2,400, at the time last fall, perhaps around US$2,100. The cedar decking is new. I installed with a 2" overhang all around the water, and the bottom of the wood is about 3" above the max water line. I will not be staining this season to let the cedar properly dry. It is beginning to 'silver' now...does look good. Next season I'll do a light sanding, then conditioning before applying natural cedar oil (to maintain that beautiful burnt amber hue), which is what I maintain on my log house. I will be taking precautions to eliminate/minimize any getting into the water.

Ask a Question